turtle people! i need your help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
oh, god, i want to keep it so badly... i'm just trying to weigh its needs vs what i can provide for it... i've been reading up on them and every site i find seems to agree that they're easy to keep while young, but are very difficult as adults due to their size. i'm wondering how quickly it would outgrow a 20 or 30 gallon tank. i'm also wondering about feeding it, as i've only had tortoises, and they ate anything they could get their beaks on, and this guy's apparantly fond of aquatic plants.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Yeah that's one of the bad things about Cooters, they can grow to be larger than Red Eared Sliders depending on the sex of the turtle. If you do decide to keep it, a 30 gallon aquarium would last about a year. After that it's going to either need a much larger aquarium, stock tank or even a small outdoor pond.

Babies are more carnivorous than the adults and will take small earth worms, blood worms, pond snails, aquatic insect larvae and grass shrimp along with shrimp pellets, Reptomin, koi & cichild pellets and thawed shrimp.

deeleywoman

Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
you know what's really sad? last night after he started moving around, i started referring to him as "scooter".... theeeen i find out he's a cooter. >_<

*takes 2d10 inadvertent pun damage*

so, say i decided to keep him. what does an aquatic/basking turtle like this require? my only experience is with land turtles, so i'm at a loss as to how to combine land and water in the same tank, and the parameters of that water. i'm assuming i can go with the standard mesh lid w/basking light, but i could also be wrong... could i place him near a window where he'd get a little bit of indirect afternoon sun? does he need me to maintain a constant temperature, or can he handle fluctuations as he's lived through natural, normal, and eratic temperature changes for over six months on his own? god, i feel like such a noob... >.>

deeleywoman

Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
i wasn't planning on getting a turtle at all! especially as i'm still getting my fish tank up and going... but then again, i wasn't planning on a third cat until he showed up on my porch a year ago, screaming and yowling until i opened the door, then he just trotted on in... the jury's still out on this one. *sigh*

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
you know what's really sad? last night after he started moving around, i started referring to him as "scooter".... theeeen i find out he's a cooter. >_<

*takes 2d10 inadvertent pun damage*
Aww... I think Scooter is an adorable name. And you're sunk now. Once you've named something, there's no going back!

so, say i decided to keep him. what does an aquatic/basking turtle like this require?
Most basking turtles require a mostly water habitat with a basking spot (dry, warm, UVA/UVB), not a full half-land/half-water setup. I don't know much about cooters, though. Vicious_Fish will be your best source on this one---has helped me more than once with my eastern painted!

EDIT: Turtles are awesome for cycling fish tanks! They make plenty of ammonia, but (relative to fish) they don't care about ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels. I say Scooter will help with your setup! :)

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
I have always wanted a turtle but my place is so small I couldn't give it enough room. My BF wants one in the pond but I don't trust the people around where I live not to hurt it if it got out. Even though my freind and I found a tortise walking down the road that was so big we had to use a furniture dolly to take it back to where it lived. LOL

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I would argue that you still need to take care while cycling, whether its a turtle or a fish. while in fish, the most sensitive area affected by ammonia and nitrite is the gills, turtles do have mucous membranes that can be affected by these (most notably, the eyes). they just deal with it better, so may not show signs of stress or discomfort as readily as fish.

Care for cooters is similar to most basking turtles. You'll want a talk you can fill up as much as possible for swimming space, and something like a ZooMed floating turtle dock will be fine for a basking area. A basking lamp (could be a regular fluorescent bulb in a clamp light) should keep the basking area around 90 degrees. For hatching turtles, you can keep the water temps at 76-80 degrees. You'll also want a UVBspecific fluorescent light over the basking area. There are some mercury vapor bulbs that supply both heat and UVB, but they are quite expensive (70ish dollars). You'll definitely want to overfilter the tank and keep up with water changes, even a small turtle can foul a tank pretty quickly, especially since they will eat lots of meaty foods early on. You can also keep leaf lettuce or plants like anacharis floating in the tank pretty much constantly for the turtle to munch on at any time. I prefer aquatic plants to lettuce as if they aren't eatedn, they won't foul the tank up, they just grow.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
This care sheet is for a Florida Red Bellied Cooter which is basically the same turtle you have except they live farther south.

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-flredbelly.htm

Keep in mind that you are going to need a basking light AND a light that puts off UVB. You'll also want to keep the water temperature close to 80˚F because the turtle you have is a baby. You'll want to keep the water shallow, about 2-3 inches deep while it's this small. No need to make it struggle to swim towards the surface for air. And make sure you have a place for the baby to get out of the water and bask on. It's important that this species and all basking turtles to have the ability to dry out completely while basking. If not they can develop skin issues.

deeleywoman

Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
should i use any kind of substrate since he likes to dig?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store