Turtle tank ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nora

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
if I were you, i'd skip the plexi, and use some cork. you can silicone it in place the same way, and it looks awesome
X2 on the natural cork.

Plexi/acrylic has a few drawbacks, it warps, the bask spot for most turtles should be quite hot, adding to the warp issue and the uvb can make the acrylic brittle over time. Cork bark makes a perfect basking area. I just get large enough pieces that all I have to do is wedge it into the tank at an angle so the turts can climb up easily.

Glass cages uses glass for those shelves, silicone works fine, what looks like 'steps' on the ramps is actually silicone lines. Pluses and minuses to the 'permanent' bask area, it can get tricky to clean - especially mineral deposits and algae. It also locks in the water level which can sometimes be a problem - on the plus side the stability is great....

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
X2 on the natural cork.
I just get large enough pieces that all I have to do is wedge it into the tank at an angle so the turts can climb up easily.
Ya got a pic? Can you buy cork thick enough to support a turtle,or do you use more than one layer? Where do you buy it at?

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
What kind of turtle are you trying to keep first? Also you do know that 25 gallons of water will only work for a short period of time with the turtle till it needs a bigger amount of water. A rule of thumb for turtles on care and proper housing is per every inch is equal to 10 gallons of water. So the 25 gallons of water will last for only a short time till it needs more, then it will grow were the 55g will need to be replaced. You will need atleast a 75g tank to house a turtle, and that's even specific on what kind you get. Another thing to know, you won't be able to determine the sex till they get bigger, and with most species females get way bigger then males.

Another thing with your tank, your not going want to put gravel in it. Your either going want sand, or big rocks. With gravel the turtle will eat it, and trust me it may at times be able to pass it through, but times it won't. It can happen the first time r the millionth but taking that chance can be a deadly one and a costly one. With sand that passes through, with bigger rocks like river rocks they won't be able to fit in there mouths.

With the cork bark, through time it will get water in it and make it then useless, won't happen right away but through time it is going to, so you will be replacing it. Basking area needs to be comepletly dry when the turtles are on it. Your going need a heater, proper lighting (UVB and UVA), good filter, and good basking dock.

If you have any other questions ask, I own turtles and have for awhile so I can say I know my stuff about them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store