Types of light?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
Fishkeeper,
Thank you very much for the link and the info. That was perfect! Just what I was looking for! :)

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
I just got my new strip light today and set it up. I'm excited to get started on improving my large tank and to begin setting up my small tank. This is the strip light I bought from "That Pet Place."

Place-a-Lite Refl. Oak Fluor. 48" (Perfecto)
Place-a-Lite reflectors are the perfect lighting fixtures for all aquariums. Complete with long-lasting fluorescent bulb, this fixture features high-quality construction and oak wood-grain finish detail.
Other features include: injection molded--made of high impact polystyrene, good for fresh or saltwater, fits all brand of tanks, vented for heat dissipation, water resistant rubber boot protects switch from corrosion, the inside is a shiny reflective material. Must be used with a glass or acrylic top.
Comes with one T-10 (1.5" diameter) 48" bulb.
**A T-12 sized lamp will also work with this fixture**
Size:
48" x 4.5" x 2.75" high.
Warranty:
Fixture has a 90 day warranty against defects in materials and workmanship

Thank you all for your help. :)

Malachite

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Beeker said:
I just got my new strip light today and set it up. I'm excited to get started on improving my large tank and to begin setting up my small tank. This is the strip light I bought from "That Pet Place."

Place-a-Lite Refl. Oak Fluor. 48" (Perfecto)
Place-a-Lite reflectors are the perfect lighting fixtures for all aquariums. Complete with long-lasting fluorescent bulb, this fixture features high-quality construction and oak wood-grain finish detail.
Other features include: injection molded--made of high impact polystyrene, good for fresh or saltwater, fits all brand of tanks, vented for heat dissipation, water resistant rubber boot protects switch from corrosion, the inside is a shiny reflective material. Must be used with a glass or acrylic top.
Comes with one T-10 (1.5" diameter) 48" bulb.
**A T-12 sized lamp will also work with this fixture**
Size:
48" x 4.5" x 2.75" high.
Warranty:
Fixture has a 90 day warranty against defects in materials and workmanship

Thank you all for your help. :)

I think that is the one that came with my aquarium. It is ok but IMHO I like to have more light. I think this is only a 40 watt fixture if it is like mine. I have a 75 Gallon so the 2 to 3 watt per gallon rule puts me at needing 150W to 225W. I only have a few plants now but later one I want to fill the back in order to have a completely covered background. I found a strip light that uses T-5 bulbs. I am still trying to find out hoew they compare to CF when it comes to heat because I have a canopy on my tank. They are also very pricey still.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...=12105&ref=3055&subref=AQ&N=2004+113030+22749

Last edited:

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
Thanks for the info. So far, it is giving me great light in my tank now. I just got the heaters today and set the big one up in my larger tank too. The 75 is ready for plants now. I'm really excited. Since I will only be getting simple plants I think the light I have should do the trick for now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store