<tyrome biggums' voice>check out the rock I bought!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sguthrie

.???`?.?>
Feb 26, 2004
GA
Visit site
<tyrone biggums' voice>check out the rock I bought!

I bought somewhere close to 45 lbs of slate for 3 bucks a couple of days ago! I was really planning on that being a good 5x more than that.

I'm going to be using it to make a cave. Here [plantgeek.net] is the article from which I got the idea for the cave I'm going to make. I'll put a picture of the finished project once it's all together.

For anyone else that wants to do this, my first piece of advice is that you wear down the edges after "making small rocks out of big rocks." A lot of the pieces have very sharp or pointy edges, and we don't want to injure our finned friends in any way...

rock.jpg

Last edited:

ChicoRaton

Se?or Member
Jun 5, 2004
Idaho, USA
www.hazy8.com
Rock on man!

sguthrie

.???`?.?>
Feb 26, 2004
GA
Visit site
I finished the cave the day I originally posted this. I'm gonna take a couple more pictures once it's in my tank. After that, some input would definitely be appreciated. I can always buy some more rock and redo it if it sucks.

Sam

sguthrie

.???`?.?>
Feb 26, 2004
GA
Visit site
Finished, and in the tank.

Alright, so I put it in and finished my weekly water change. Here's how the cave looks. I couldn't get a good whole tank shot before the battery died...

Like I said before, lemme know what you think. The slate is so cheap I'd be willing to scrap it and try again. I'm pretty pleased, though. I originally wanted a second cave on top of the bottom one, but that ended up not working out as planned.

Sam

DSCN0567.jpg

ChicoRaton

Se?or Member
Jun 5, 2004
Idaho, USA
www.hazy8.com
Looks pretty sweet. I like it.

sguthrie

.???`?.?>
Feb 26, 2004
GA
Visit site
Thanks, Chico. I'm hoping the dwarf sag will spread a good bit now that it's closer to the light. Also, I hope that my bristlenose, Franky, finds the cave tonight when he's cruising the tank. Perhaps I'll throw some algae wafers in it after the lights are out.

Sam

punch

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Petaluma, CA
I got mine free! I got all the broken off pcs. at the bottom of the crate.
Of course, I didn't need 45 lbs. worth!

punch

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Petaluma, CA
Just made a curved wall by stacking the pcs. and gluing together

Seaman

Shrimp gumbo, shrimp salad etc...
May 22, 2004
Im like air im everywhere (Dallas, TX)
That looks awesome!! I love how you made a spot for gravel and plants on top!! very good!

Also your thread title is HILARIOUS!! "Peanut butter and crack sandwi!"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store