<tyrome biggums' voice>check out the rock I bought!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xytrix01

Aquaria Intern (NOOB)
Sep 26, 2004
San Jose, CA
where do you buy that stuff? like a construction supply place? My LFS wants like $1.50/lb for all their rocks!!! I have a construction place downtown that sells rocks and stuff, but I haven't checked it out. I really like the look of your cave!!!!!

punch

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Petaluma, CA
Landscaping place would have it as well as a construction supply. Cheaper than the LFS. I didn't need that much so When I went to the landscape supply place they let me take all the broken pcs, at the bottom of the crate!
Some were pretty good size. Plenty big enought to make the cave and a wall or whatever, Just to small to use for the landscaping. And free too! :D

aquaguy1331

AC Members
Jun 14, 2004
just make sure you get something inert. slate, river stones = good. pretty much anything else including died, "polished" = bad

sguthrie

.???`?.?>
Feb 26, 2004
GA
Visit site
Yeah, so the plants on top didn't work out so well. The gravel isn't deep enough for the roots for the dwarf sag, especially with my loaches digging through it. Right now there's nothing on top other than flourite. I haven't decided what to put there. Does anyone have a suggestion for something? I was considering java moss.

Sam

xytrix01

Aquaria Intern (NOOB)
Sep 26, 2004
San Jose, CA
I went down to the building supply place and found a peice of slate I liked. It is like 3'x2' and weighs around 50lbs. I took it inside and the guys were trying to figure out how to sell it to me, because they sell it by the ton. Expensive stuff too, the guy said its like $395 per ton. They gave up on me and my rock and told me to just take it. WOOHOO!!! free rock! :dance

So while I was wandering around their yard, i noticed that they carry the same gravel as I use in my tank! Only that too is by the ton. I bought a 5 gallon bucket ($4.99) and they had me drive my Jeep up onto their huge truck scales. I got to find out how much my car weighs too! I loaded my bucket with rock, and drove the jeep back onto the scales. 40lbs of gravel later I paid $8.99 total.
Thats with tax and the bucket. I should have brought my own bucket. I think I got a great deal, cuz the same rock at petco is like $10.99 for a 10lb bag!!!

xytrix01

Aquaria Intern (NOOB)
Sep 26, 2004
San Jose, CA
it was an ace hardware in sunnyvale, CA It's more of a building supply than a hardware store. I'll try to find the exact name tonight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store