undercrowding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dean

AC Members
Nov 4, 2003
Red Deer, Alberta
Visit site
i know it's not a common word in the aquarium hobby but what are the neggatives to having a undercrowded tank. Iam planning on buying a 55+ gallon tank. Do small schooling fish fell scared if the tank is too large, even if they are in a large school, say 28 white clouds. This would be just to start of course. i dont want to fill the aquarium with more fish (especially expensive ones) untill it is established and stable.

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
i have a colony of endlers maybe like 50 or so in a 60 gallon. yea pretty close to the inch per gallon rule but that rule is dumb. i have have about 250 or so in that tank and be fine. it dosent seem to matter except 97% of the fish stay on 1 side probably only on the far left 15% of the tank

Locust

AC Members
Sep 30, 2003
Redmond, Wa
Visit site
Any aquarium is going to be small in comparison to your fish's natural habitat. If they did seem stressed you could probably alleviate that by planting or decorating the plant to limit any wide open areas.

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
Personally I think that undercrowding would be an ideal rather than a problem. As long as your fish have enough of their own kind to be content, there will be less social related stress, less chance of disease to spread, less stress on your bio-systems.

Also, IMO, a tank with less species variety somehow looks more natural. Look at Amano's tanks.

If it were my tank, I would go with the white clouds with a few good tank cleaners, like my tank below V.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
If the tank is overfed, it isn't the population density (too many or too few) that is at fault, it's the one doing the feeding.

Possibly T15, you were suggesting that with current and all that space, food isn't e-fish-iently consumed by the fish? That's certainly something to consider.

Dean, sounds like you're on your way to being a successful aquarist!

rich

AC Members
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
mabye an understocked tank wouldnt be able to support much of a bacteria colony. that would only be a problem if one day you decided you needed to add a ton of fish and then the bacteria wouldnt be able to handle the waste load.

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
Originally posted by rich
mabye an understocked tank wouldnt be able to support much of a bacteria colony. that would only be a problem if one day you decided you needed to add a ton of fish and then the bacteria wouldnt be able to handle the waste load.
If you only plan to keep X amount of fish and plants, then your bio load handling bacteria will adjust to that level, so, no problem. Also, if something extraordinary happens and your bio load increases, you have a better buffer zone than the guy with the 'fill to max' tank.

Wetguy! Good to see you again. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store