University Students are great!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cmartin

Extra tanks - no place to setup :(
Mar 14, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
I picked up a free tank a few weeks ago that came with fish.
Along with having Old Tank Syndrom the mix of fish was very strange:

1 comet goldfish - about 5 inch.
1 fancy goldfish - about 3 inch - in all directions :)
1 common pleco - about 6 inch
1 golden loach - about 4 inch
1 ID Shark - about 6 inch
and a couple of 'tetra like fish' that I could not identify.
2 Angels - 1 did not make it through the acclaimation.
1 female betta (another rescue but it ended up in the same tank)
and a couple of danios.

It took almost two weeks to get them into good water conditions as I had to bring the Nitrate readings down slowly. Then I treated them with Marcyin and marcyin2 (sorry about the spelling) for a week. Everyone seemed healthy at the end of the 4 weeks.

Then I saw an ad on Kijiji - University student with fish tank looking for free fish.. match made in heaven.

They came an took them all - I kept a white Angel and a female betta from the bunch... see what I mean about a weird mix. The previous owner had these fish together for several months - some for a year - before I got them and they all seem to do well together so I guess it is OK for them to all stay together.

I gave the student the filter media and a quick run down of what a 'cycle' was and showed them how to use a 'python' as I removed the water from the tank. Then I gave him the url for this site - it was certainly a life saver for me when I first started.

I hope they do well - both the new owners and the fish.

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
How big of a tank do they have? Did you tell them that they should seperate the goldfish from the other fish? Do they know how big the pleco and id shark get?

cmartin

Extra tanks - no place to setup :(
Mar 14, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Yes - I told them and suggested that they may want to trade some of them in at their LFS for other fish. I told them that this was a very strange mix and really should not be together - but they have done well for several months. They wanted the fish... and I wanted them gone. They said that they have a 40 gal right now and a larger tank coming within a couple of weeks. I had them in a 40 gal qt - barebottom so that I could keep up with the mess - and they did fine once I got the levels down and did regular maintenance.

I know that it is not 'perfect' conditions but everyone has to start somewhere.

I figure anything that I did not explain - or that they don't remember - they will find on this site. It gives them a start with a few fish - cycled filter media - and this site for any questions they have. Probably a better start than most of us had.

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
I figure anything that I did not explain - or that they don't remember - they will find on this site. It gives them a start with a few fish - cycled filter media - and this site for any questions they have. Probably a better start than most of us had.

wish i had a place like this when i started 30 years ago

Last edited by a moderator:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store