unknown black spots?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jjohns

AC Members
Sep 26, 2003
Bismarck, ND
Visit site
No, I haven't seen any photos of myxobacteriosis on the internet. That is what I have been searching for as well to see if this is really what I have. I did look at ChefKeith's photos and the spots on the loaches look a little more defined than what I have on my tetras. They do start off as smaller spots I guess, but then they grow into patches--some at the base of fins and then that gets inflammed and a little puffy, and others on the side of the fish. I read a description on the internet somewhere where someone called it "black columnaris". And, it is similar to that with the almost fuzzy like patches, but way more slow growing than that. I am pretty sure it is not a fungus, because those are pretty rapid growing and get fuzzy overnight. This is a slow process, and the base of the dorsal fin on my tetra is now black. The fin has a couple holes in it, so I know it is starting to slowly decay away. And, columnaris is quick acting too and kills in a few days so I can rule out anything like that. Everything I have read about myxo, fits the description of what my tetras appear to have (and I think I noticed a spot on a tiger barb now too). Myxo causes slow decay of areas over time and causes fin death, and inflammed areas. I will see if I can find some informative articles and include the links.

jjohns

AC Members
Sep 26, 2003
Bismarck, ND
Visit site
Here is what one website said in general about myxo--

Myxobacteriosis
Symptoms: Symptoms may include black patches on the body and fins. The body may become bloated or swollen in some areas.

Treatment: As far as I know, there is only one medication designed specifically for myxobacteriosis--Phenocide by Aquatronics.

Information: This infection is rather uncommon but fairly easy to treat. Its probability is intensified by overcrowding and poor water quality with high levels of ammonia and / or nitrites.

jjohns

AC Members
Sep 26, 2003
Bismarck, ND
Visit site
Here is what another person said about myxo:

Myxobacteriosis. Not a fun thing to deal with. It is a chronic progressive disease that encompasses many species of mycobacterium. It can also be difficult to diagnose because this type infection mimics several other bacteria symptoms that could infect your angelfish.

Prevention of this through maintaining very good water quality and diet of fresh foods doesn't realy say enough. This stuff is one of those nasties that is in the water, (almost everywhere) and lessoning stress and maintaining the fish's immune system is just about the only preventative.

Nitrofurizone will not work very well, depending at which stage or how far this disease has progressed. It does not absorb very well in long-term bath dosages. It is also very light sensitive and can inactivate under aquarium lights. Furnace, used in a short-term bath (dip) and covered, may prove to be more effective.

Any type of antibiotics is still questionable as a cure because of the structural make up of this pathogen. The little nasty critters are surrounded by a shell-type substance. Treating a individual fish may prove problematic. Treating a whole group of fish that you may suspect to be infected through the use of antibiotics in their food for several weeks, may be the way to go.

I posted another thread asking for opinions about antibiotic medicated foods. This guy seems to think that an internal fight against it may be the way to go. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of a good medicated food to use? I have tried mixing my own, but my fish don't want much to do with it. They suck in the food, and usually spit it back out because they can taste the meds when I try to mix it myself. So, I was thinking a pre-mixed flake type food would be more successful. But, if this is really as hard to cure as they say, maybe I have to buy a certain type of med, mix with food, and then feed that instead of a store bought one.

Has anyone else had any success with the gel medications and mixing that with their food?

jjohns

AC Members
Sep 26, 2003
Bismarck, ND
Visit site
I am thinking of trying a strong salt dip in order to strip the slime coat of the fish off and then put the fish back in the antibiotic. If these bacteria do really have a strong shell or are protected well, I was wondering if a strong salt solution might knock them off or at least remove the outer barrier so the antibiotics will be more effective. I will also try to pick an antibiotic to use to mix with their food. I think I read that this bacteria is gram negative, so can anyone recommend a good antibiotic effective against gram negative strains. Is Kanamycin any good?

kill_a_watt

didnt u know?
Dec 24, 2005
New Zealand
dam after i read this post i rembered that my angels have them i just thought it was caused by stress casue i was moving this around alot in the tank dam :eek:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store