Update on the Tefe F1 Juvies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Fabulous! Once my juvies learned handfeeding they'd try anything I held, even peas 1 time, lol.

I take it a stern lecture hasn't worked yet either...

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
They look great!

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
Thats great news that their appetite is on the increase! They key to success is always a varied diet, getting them to accept as many foods as possible. The crab cuisine is interesting, it would be nice to see the makers taylor a food targeted at discus......maybe a pinch of garlic?

IME, Hikari makes some of the most ridiculously over-priced and over-rated foods on the market. The last time I checked, the protein level of frozen bloodworms was around 3%, with the vast majority of the content by wieght being water. I will agree however that as star-rider mentioned, in the case of wilds, getting the fish to eat something is much better than them not eating anything. However, most importers are not in the market to hold the fish for extended periods of time, as quick turnover is the key to thier success. One of the biggest reasons the importers like the bloodworms is that it is a very CLEAN food, doesn't foul the water, and is eaten readily. The freeze dried blackworms I choose to feed as a staple have a protein content of around 47%. There is a thread on here in the discus section in which another member and myself each was raising a group of discus from fry. Both spawns were within a week of each other.If I recall correctly, he fed bloodworms as a staple, whereas I did not. The difference in growth is a real eye opener, and I have seen this scenario repeated time and time again. At around nine months, his discus were at just over 4 inches, while mine were already well over 6 inches. At one year mine topped out at 7 inches.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
They had to be 3 months old when I bought them at 2". So that puts them at about 6 months old. It seems the Tefes must be slow growers, slow to mature. Here's a pic of a 9 month old and a pic of one at a year. You can see compared to the parents, at a year, they still have quite a ways to go to maturity. Mine are behind schedule a bit because of the hard to feed issues, not worried about that, they'll catch up quickly.
TefeGreenJuvenile9.jpgTefeGreen3262011F11year.jpgTefe Parents 1.jpg

TefeGreen3262011F11year.jpg Tefe Parents 1.jpg TefeGreenJuvenile9.jpg

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
absolutely love the discus in that last picture.....is that yours? I am however a bit confused as to which picture is which of the three you just posted :(

Currently I have about 8 different batches of juveniles that I am growing out that I have raised from fry. ( I say about because I am not sure what would qualify as a batch, some of these "batches" are only nine fish, others as many as 60). The closest thing I have to yours at the moment are some F2 Curipera's crosses, the rest are pure domestics. All in all I have well over 200 discus, and while I am no expert, I do have some experience in the matter, and have tried many different types of food. keep up the good work, and remember, there is no such thing as too many water changes.

Rick

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Rick the first picture is a 9 month old. Bars have faded and colors beginning to show. Mine still have dark bars and are starting to show some coloring along the outer edges. And I notice that their top and bottoms fins are getting larger (taller). That second picture is a one year old from the same parents as mine. And one of the parents is in picture 3, they are wilds.

Here's a picture of both green tefe parents of my babies, they are not mine:
Tefegreen.jpg

Tefegreen.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store