Upside Down catfish bloated belly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
WYite (& Crabs), I was going off my experiences with female loaches of several species. They often stay filled with eggs for years, even with males available. I guess they didn't have the right conditions to spawn. I've also seen that with a lone danio & a lone white cloud. Both of those were old fish but IIRC they lived for at least several months that way.

Reactions: FishAddict74

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
WYite (& Crabs), I was going off my experiences with female loaches of several species. They often stay filled with eggs for years, even with males available. I guess they didn't have the right conditions to spawn. I've also seen that with a lone danio & a lone white cloud. Both of those were old fish but IIRC they lived for at least several months that way.
My apologies, I didn't mean to imply that your experiences were wrong. I should have clarified my post with "in my experience". All of the fish I have experience with becoming egg bound are small schooling species: tetras, danios, rasboras, and such, and otos. That very well may have something to do with my observations and a shorter time before the fish succumbs. Water parameters may make a difference as well, for all I know. I definitely know that high dKH can contribute to fish becoming egg bound. I've never had this occur with anything as large as a loach or catfish and I've always had hard water. The fish I've had never lasted more than a couple of months if they didn't reabsorb the eggs fairly quickly.

I've read about alkalinity contributing in numerous sources over the years. On several forums I've also read that issues with an individual female's reproductive organs may contribute. This wasn't from any paper or a reputable publication like TFK or PFK, but it does make sense based on my experience. I've had schools of fish with males and females and have only had one female out of several end up becoming egg bound.

WYite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I wasn't trying to down play you experiences or research, WYite, or your treatment suggestion. Most of my loach etc. females-always-gravid experiences has been in pretty low TDS but at different pHs, neither very high, say 7 to 7.6-ish Since most loaches are still wild caught...well, do we act like...what, they can't adapt to other parameters? I truly don't know. I do know a Brit with pretty hard water has bred many, many loaches...in much harder water than I've ever had or are "native" to them...so maybe it's something else...No ready & willing male comes to mind, maybe males need LOTS of time to mature?

But a lone female without a male...I've had rams & angels & some other fish lay eggs, diliberately, not just expelling them, but that sometimes seems like a last ditch effort before they soon die (sniff)...I dunno...

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I wasn't trying to down play you experiences or research, WYite, or your treatment suggestion. Most of my loach etc. females-always-gravid experiences has been in pretty low TDS but at different pHs, neither very high, say 7 to 7.6-ish Since most loaches are still wild caught...well, do we act like...what, they can't adapt to other parameters? I truly don't know. I do know a Brit with pretty hard water has bred many, many loaches...in much harder water than I've ever had or are "native" to them...so maybe it's something else...No ready & willing male comes to mind, maybe males need LOTS of time to mature?

But a lone female without a male...I've had rams & angels & some other fish lay eggs, diliberately, not just expelling them, but that sometimes seems like a last ditch effort before they soon die (sniff)...I dunno...
All good. Likewise. My experience with loaches is virtually nil. Zebra loaches are the only species I've ever kept with any regularity. I've kept a couple others that were rescues, a hora loach and another one I'd have to look up. Anyways, I suspect there area lot more variables (like age, size and species possibly) involved. Maybe even by individual based on general health. Like I've said before, IMO there are very few absolutes in this hobby.

WYite

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
bala sharks need like a whole pool along with most of your fish only fish I can see that could work in a 37 are the angels the bichir the lace cat the dojo the gourami the upside down cat and the tetras everything else such as the SD the pleco the sharks and stuff needs very big tanks

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
bala sharks need like a whole pool along with most of your fish only fish I can see that could work in a 37 are the angels the bichir the lace cat the dojo the gourami the upside down cat and the tetras everything else such as the SD the pleco the sharks and stuff needs very big tanks
Even if we assume he has the smallest type of bichir, which would be a CB albino Senegal , a 40b is the bare minimum I’d recommend, even then it would only be with one or two other fish. More because of the footprint rather than the volume. Even the CB albinos get 6-8” and while they’re the smallest, sens are by far the most active. If not an albino CB, then 8-10” is more likely and if it’s a WC, you’re looking at 12” plus. Also unless someone is experienced feeding bichirs, the tank is gonna have to be over fed to make sure the bichir gets its share with those fish, which of course will lead to poor water quality. The bichir may possibly eat the Tetras at night as well. So I wouldn’t recommend a bichir in that tank or with those fish. The lace syno gets to around 10” and the dojo gets up to 10-14”and needs much cooler water than the rest, so I wouldn’t recommend those either.

Reactions: Wyomingite

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
Actually p. Moklembembe WC is the smallest species rarely crossing 8” I’ve seen a foot long albino long fin senegalus before

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store