Upside down goldfish??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boroughmal

wwww.fishkeepingsupplies.com.
Goldfish & swim bladder deseases

Just a little blog to set things straight.
Goldfish are prone to swim bladder problems. True
Once a goldfish is infected does he die. No
Swim bladder desaeses are curable No , only in exeptional cases
Heavy food works to correct this. Wrong, It just changes the fishes equilibrium.(Ballast)
What can I do? Virtually nothing unless you get the desease in the first few weeks. after that the deformity is permenant.
How do I detect it?. THEY swim or go UPSIDE DOWN.
How do I cure it? Pond goldfish treatment Interpet 2626 code
Apply as soon as you notice symptoms It IS A Desease and is internal.
How do I avoid it? Use Biosafe or a simular product It costs very little to prevent

Goldfish are hardy but not immune Bacteria attack from inside as well as outside.
Reagards

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
tinkerbell0183 said:
I have a question that many people commonly ask me about their goldfish. Why is my goldfish floating upside down? They're still alive, they just are floating upside down and then swim back to normal. My sister used to have about 5 fancy goldfish (some were calico, ryukin, oranda, etc.) She just has 1 right now. I'm just curious what makes them do this? Is it normal? Is it a sign of something? I'm just curious.... as I'm trying to learn about fish. I unfortionately work at PetsMart and whenever I don't know something I come here. I also do animal research in my spare time because it's fun. .
Mainly because people don't keep Goldfish in the proper conditions. Trying to tell them that 10 GF in a bowl is a bad idea won't make your job any eayser. Tell them that GF can and will get up to a FOOT (some will stay just under). Most people think that GF are a good starter fish and they are not, well if you want them to live and thrive, then they area not. Even is people don't want to listen or even care enough about your their fish, inform them on everything you know about them before you sell the fish. Tank req, adult size, tank mates, and such. At least this way when the fish dies they will know why. Also if people become educated in proper tank size this may help sell larger tanks

Stargazer

3 Little Fishies (Itty Bitty Poo)
Apr 4, 2005
Northern California
Goldfish doing the back stroke

I agree with Fantail ,
I love my goldfish, they and a few books have taught me ,that floating pellets do not agree with all of them.
the Goldfish with the short compact rounded bodys are more prone to bladder problems one of them being gulping air while eating floating food ,I have had 2 swimming on their sides or upside down by feeding them floating food,After reading up on this , I switched to sinking granules and veggies , nothing that they will have to gulp air with as they eat and I have not had any more problems. I even had one look as though he threw out it's intestines and died, at the time I was feeding floating food,and I still feel as though that was the floating food problem.

Just my fish notes
Stargazer

bblboy54

AC Members
Sep 7, 2004
Ashburn, VA
www.bibleboy.org
Im glad I found this post. Even tho I knew some of it before I didnt know about the peas or even starving them for a couple of days.

I do have a question tho. When I bought my goldfish I bought flake food.... fed them for a day and then ran into most of the information in this post. That can of food is still sitting at my parents house today.... after the first day I bought sinking pellets and I have been feeding them that along with some brine shrimp every now and then. The thing is that these guys never seem to want to stop eating. I know it is typical of goldfish to always eat even when they get full but the thing about these guys is they both will constantly go up to the top and gulp as if there was food there.... I know that they are taking in air but I have no way to stop them. So even tho I am going to try to keep them from eating for a couple of days, is it really going to help if they are still going to go up to the top and gulp at nothing except air?

Any advice is appriciated.

Thanks!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
bblboy54 said:
Im glad I found this post. Even tho I knew some of it before I didnt know about the peas or even starving them for a couple of days.

I do have a question tho. When I bought my goldfish I bought flake food.... fed them for a day and then ran into most of the information in this post. That can of food is still sitting at my parents house today.... after the first day I bought sinking pellets and I have been feeding them that along with some brine shrimp every now and then. The thing is that these guys never seem to want to stop eating. I know it is typical of goldfish to always eat even when they get full but the thing about these guys is they both will constantly go up to the top and gulp as if there was food there.... I know that they are taking in air but I have no way to stop them. So even tho I am going to try to keep them from eating for a couple of days, is it really going to help if they are still going to go up to the top and gulp at nothing except air?

Any advice is appriciated.

Thanks!

Fish gulping at the surface is usually a sign of low oxygen in the water and not hunger. This is either that the water is too warm and there is not enough aeration or else the nitrite levels are far too high. How big is the tank, what are the nitrite levels, what is the temp, what sort of filter do you use?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store