URGENT!! Pleco turned white, dying...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
I have a 180g tank. do you know how long it would take for nitrates to reach 80? My nitrates increase about 5 between weekly water changes of 50%. Do the math, thats ALOT of weeks without water changes.

"Fish will feel the impact of nitrates by the time the levels reach 100 ppm, particularly if levels remain there. Furthermore, conditions that cause elevated nitrates often cause decreased oxygen levels, which further stress the fish."

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
hey i'm not arguing with that read my earlier posts-

i'm just saying lets not scare em away- they'll stop listening to our good advise
(not that we'll scare you away holly, i mean others, particulary newbs that get berated first post and never come back)

Last edited:

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
Geez, give Holly a break! She has been here for quite a while now, has been a very active member, and has given a lot of good advice...and, I may add, has been considerate and fair in her responses time and time again.

She has a legitimate question about a fish which she has put into quarantine. I'm sorry, I don't have any specific advice about the sick pleco. Perhaps someone has experience with this situation and can help?

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Don't auume that because your water levels change a certain in between water changes that everyone elses do as well. Many people have a level of nitrates in their change water. I know my hardness is non existant and my pH will crash if I let my tank go for 2 weeks. But many people don't have that issue. Give avdice based on the information given, ask for more info if necessary. She said a few weeks, I have to believe that. And a few weeks at high nitrates will not kill any healthy fish.

Holly, start doing the water changes when you geta chance, perhaps starting with smaller ones if you feel the change water chemistry is vastly different. And if large weekly water changes are too much to cope with then what about doing smaller ones when ever you get the chance, that may be 3 small ones a week. I knwo if I am busy that is what I try to do.

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
budrecki said:
I have a 180g tank. do you know how long it would take for nitrates to reach 80? My nitrates increase about 5 between weekly water changes of 50%. Do the math, thats ALOT of weeks without water changes.
well, I have a 250 gl tank filled with carnivourous fish and my nitrate levels rise almost 20 ppm weekly. My other 50 gl. tank, wich is planted, with regular fish, takes 3 weeks to rise 10ppm of nitrates.

Don't give advice or judge people solely in your individual experience: conditions are not the same in everyone's tanks.

:troll:

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Thanks for sticking up for me guys :hi: !! Unfortunately, he didn't make it, he was in pretty bad shape, I wish I had found him sooner, maybe I could have done more.

As for you budrecki, if you want to continue this, how about we talk about that ID shark.... A 180g is WAY too small for such a fish. At least my fish only suffered temporarily from missing a few water changes....

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
i agree those guys get over 4 feet long! start filling your basement ;)

and holly i'm so sorry for your loss plecos have so much personality i'm sure u're going to miss him

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
thanks kyle, I've had him for at least a year, maybe 2 I can't remeber. I bought the 180 to accomodate him and my balas, and I was looking forward to having a huge pleco since I had the room, I think they are really neat when they get so big, unfortunately most of them don't have the chance. I'm not sure if I will replace him or not. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store