Using old filter media?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
I recently tore down my tank, moved it to another spot in my house, and have put it back up. I used the same sand and refilled the tank and dechlorinated it. Its a big tank and I added a few danios yesterday.

I plan on taking a little filter media (laden with good bacteria in there today) so I can skip the cycle. However, that is not nearly enough media for my aqua clear 70. So I'm wondering if it is okay to used the old, dried filter media I had in the tank before I tore it down. Could anything bad happen if I did so?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Dead dry? Don't bother....add new and test/water change as necessary.

CrimsonBlush

Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
Real Name
Miah
Kind of confusing to explain. I'm using wet filter media from my running tank to seed with bacteria. However, I don't have enough so I need to ad other media as well. I was hoping to add the dry, old media from when the tank was set up before. Does that make sense? Is that safe?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
If the old mechanical/bio media is still in good condition, I don't see any problem with using it again.

CrimsonBlush

Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
Real Name
Miah
If the old mechanical/bio media is still in good condition, I don't see any problem with using it again.
Yeah its fine! I don't have new on my currently so it would be nice to just use that and get that filter going!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I reuse my sponges etc from old tanks all the time. I usually rinse them well when I finish with them and then rinse well when I reuse them. It shouldn't be an issue.

CrimsonBlush

Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
Real Name
Miah
Thanks! I just wanted to double check since there might be dead bacteria in there cause its dry. Sounds like I'm probably okay then! :)

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
Is it going to hurt anything? No.! Will it help? No.!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I think the OP just wanted to know did he have to go and buy new media or just use the old he had on hand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store