UV Sterilizer - Suggestion Seeking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
djdrz... your green water was probably due to an imbalance, co2 issues or ammo. once it's there it can be tough to get rid of. now that it's gone... as long as you don't have any spikes and keep your ferts/co2 in order you shouldn't need anymore uvc. good reason, nonetheless.

blue2fyre... sounds like an excellent reason for uvc.

funkman... you should be satisfied with your results shortly. then you can put it on the shelf for another outbreak if you wish... or to prevent spread if you see an issue with one of your fish later (particular issue dependant ofcourse).

rod... excellent link/price as usual.

borgey... might want to check over on pufferforum and see what they say. internal parasites doesn't seem to be a sterilizers forte' from what i know. not sure how often they'd be floating around in the water column to get zapped.

phoenixfire... i really don't think which model really matters with these things. i'd check out the prices... get the highest wattage within my budget that makes any sense for my tank... and run it as little as possible. for example... until my green water was gone and/or on a timer set so it only turns my tank over maybe a half dozen times a day give or take. this will extend your bulb life (which are typically only useful for 6 months).

i use this one... http://americanaquariumproducts.com/15WattUVSterilizer.html
it was cheaper and there were no "econo" models when i got it. that's my story and i'm sticking to it. :p either way, it works great and is never in my tank.

here's a chart that's loosely relevant to any model... http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/pic/article.cfm?acatid=423&aid=435

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I have a few turbo twists that work fine.
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=7999

Unless you already have a problem with green water or parasites, I would personally not spend the money on one. I have tanks with and without them. I don't ever plan on buying one again. Too expensive, and not a necessity.

If you do get one,run it 24/7. Turning it on and off will wear out the effectiveness of the bulb faster than just leaving it on.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
If you do get one,run it 24/7. Turning it on and off will wear out the effectiveness of the bulb faster than just leaving it on.
so starting the bulb burns more gases than running the bulb for 20 hours? now i'm curious...

i could see it burning out the filaments early, but they'll long outlive the gases that produce uvc light anyhow. the entire bulb should. however starting a bulb does produce intense heat... that's localized to the filaments. doesn't mean the gases can't be burnt though.

i'm now interested in hard data... and have been unable to find any thus far. if you have something, do share if you can.

EHEM; coach makes good points as usual.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I did a bunch of research on which one to get and I read on MFK that it's recommended to get 1w per 10 gallons. My tank was an 80 gallon so I got a 9w. I don't think they sell one lower. Below 5w I believe they won't work. Mine is only 9w and worked great for my 80 gallon, would more watts work better? I assume so but 9w was enough for my needs.

Also if you get one that does not come with it's own pump, you need to adjust the water flow going through the UV sterilizer. If it goes too fast then it doesn't kill anything. It needs to be exposed to the light for a certain amount of time which relates to what you want to kill. For green water it can go a little faster, for bacteria and parasites it needs to go slower.

I don't even run mine anymore since the bacteria infection is gone and I no longer add any fish to the tank. I'm keeping it around though for future use. It would be useful to use with a hospital or QT tank. Also some day I hope to own a EBJD and I will be running it then :D

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
i'm now interested in hard data... and have been unable to find any thus far. if you have something, do share if you can.
One of the guys on MFK has lots of info on UV bulbs. I'll look for it.

PhoenixFire

AC Members
Nov 8, 2010
I ended up buying the Green Killing Machine yesterday at the LFS. I currently have it plugged in on the timer for my lights which is set to 13h on and 11h off. I'm interested in seeing this data you mentioned to see what is the most effective way to run the sterilizer and conserve the bulb.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
i run my 24/7 replacing the bulb is just part of life on this equiptment. I stocked up on bulbs when i caught some on sale. I cant complain about it because it does a great job and best of all its hidden out of sight in my sumps.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA

funkman262

AC Members
Jul 24, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
Michael
By the way, the tank has really cleared up after running the UV for several days.

Here it was before the UV:

And about 5 days later:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store