Venus Flytraps

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ukfan1976

AC Members
Feb 23, 2014
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jeremy
Attached are pics of my Venus Flytraps. I had one as a kid that i kept and ended up blooming (which was pretty cool). I've since read that the blooming stalk, which was quite tall for the size of the plant, expends a lot of energy and can put stress on it. I bought the current flytraps from Armstrong Nursery, a chain here in SoCal. They were small, brown, and looked almost dead. So bad the sales guy gave me 70% off the price of each plant. I bought the 4 with the most green and then transplanted them when I got home. I'm kind of a carnivorous plant nerd so I knew that most likely, since its February, the plants were probably just in their dormant phase. Pictured here is the end product after I transplanted the rhizomes. Some of the pots I bought had more than one plant so I tried to spread around. I"ll post the progress when they come out of dormancy (i'm hoping thats all it was haha). I know they like moist soil and I'm using distilled water for the soil. If anyone has any other advice for healthy flytraps other than feeding them occasional bug here and there, I'd really appreciate it!

I'm also new to the forum and wow, I'm really glad I stumbled upon it! I have several hobbies that are covered in all these different forums, in addition to new ones I want to try! So cool...

Flytraps 1.jpg Flytraps 2.jpg

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
vft's are one of the things i've always had a hard time with. good luck with them.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Yes, yes you do.
Agreed.

And those flytraps look like they should do fine. I bought a couple death box ones that were mostly brown with a couple withered floppy greenish leaves and they are thriving now in my terrariums with my dews and pings. I do have one that I got from a reputable seller though that is struggling. It did experience a freeze for a day or so when I was trying to keep it in dormancy though. We had a seriously cold winter this year.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store