Very Injured Pearlscales, PLEASE HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

luvGoldfish

Registered Member
Jul 1, 2006
This is my first post on this forum, and I hope I'm putting it in the correct place.

I am an avid goldfish lover and I came across two little Pearlscales today that are in desperate need of some serious TLC. At a horrible little petshop here in town, someone put these little angels in with a 6 inch albino bichir. The pearlscales are about 1.5 inches long and the bichir has torn up thier tails and fins. The smallest of the two has nearly no tail left at all, and is missing his left front fin. The larger of the two has a bite out of his tail and one whole front fin missing. The petstore guy had no clue what to do with them, so I talked him into letting me have them. I have brought them home and put them into my 10 gallon hospital tank. They are both swimming (as well as they can anyway) and the larger one, with less damage, will eat. There is no sign of infections, the wounds are all recent, the guy at the store thinks it happened last night!:rant2:

My question is...is melafix and aquarium salt enough to nurse these babies back to health or is there something else I should be doing? Thank you all so much for any advice.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
ugh, what a tough situation. Why in the world did the petshop mix these fish?? They don't sell other goldfish?? My first reaction is that when seeing a situation like this, despite of the urge to save the fish, leave them because chances are that once they are taken new ones will fill their empty spots. However, this place sounds to me llike that may not be the case. I'm thinking melafix and water changes would help.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
You might also try feeding lightly stewed zuccini or cucumbers with a vitamine suppliment to entice them to eat. If they get a 2ndry infection that's also a pretty good way to medicate ,"works in my pondy anyway". You might also consider putting a glass bowl or something else inert in the tank to give them a place to shelter.
hth
chris

luvGoldfish

Registered Member
Jul 1, 2006
Thanks so much for the replies! I will be using all the advice you have both given me. They are actually doing pretty well today, both eating and swimming around (although a little lop-sided) they seem like little fighters! Thanks again and keep these babies in your prayers!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store