Vinegar

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blackwolfXKAV

Homo sapiens
Apr 20, 2006
New England Abroad.
Ok, i have had a horrible time trying to keep my gravel vac clean, and i took up the suggestions here of putting vinegar in it...Any way, the black substance, (mold or some other stuff :look:) partially cleared out (ok not much at all) and i tried alternating vinegar w/ hot water. It seems to help only minutely, so Any suggestions are very helpful as i live in a hygenically strict household (mum is a nurse) so it needs to be fixed. Also, the same applies to the inside of the tank. I always try to avoid soap or other likewise products, but i cant help but think there has to be some kind of general cleanser (?) for tanks..either that or get the rubber gloves they use for SW. Thanks

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Might be easier to get a new mom......lol

For cleaning the tank, outside you can use a light amonia/water solution (as any amonia that accidently gets in the tank will be nitrified) Inside you can buy an algae scraper and keep your nitrites down to avoid algae build up. As for the gravel vac, soak it in bleach. After its clean, rinse it well, then squirt a bunch of dechorinator on/in it. Or perhaps you could inform your mom that the avoidance of germs and nasties actually leads to immune system deficciencies ;)

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
blkwdw13 said:
You could try a tube cleaner to scrub the inside of the tubing out.
yeah.. those always work. and I find bleach is good for cleaning stuff for fishtanks, just make sure to give and extra large dosing of water declhorinator when you put it back in the water to wipe out any remaing bleach on the item.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store