Vivarium Project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JoeRags3

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Millstone Township, NJ
minnesotagal866 said:
great looking set=up!! Mine is a little more boring, no waterfall. I have a 20G long that I just built up one side with river rock, a pagoda rock on each side, and live plants throughout the middle. Someday when my camera is working I truly will post a pic, right now I have too much on my plate to deal with the camera (selling house, going back to grad school, moving across the country. . .).

Just for your information, the first time I put white clouds in with my CFN's two mysteriously disappeared . . . The second time it was fine but I thought the white clouds were a little cramped (10G with 4G or so of water) so I moved them. On the other hand, I had a hitchhiker molly fry in the tank for weeks and they ignored it. So you never know. I would like to eventually redo the tank with more water and try white clouds again and maybe shrimp or clams. I also keep a FBT in there which is not recommended but I have had zero problems, my toad is extremely meek and lazy! There are also a few snails and they are ignored as well.

Just a heads up for you to watch the interaction between the two species. Sounds great and I wish I was setting up another tank!

jackie
Thanx For the compliments Jackie, I'll be honest I was disappointed when I first filled the tank. I thought I set it up for 5.5G and once it was all set up with sustrate and everything I was only able to put 4G as well. maybe oneday I'll upgrade to a 20L and convert this one to a FBT tank. Thanks for the advise about the White Clouds, I'll keep a close eye on them.

JoeRags3

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Millstone Township, NJ
Here are some pictures of my land portion with Eco-Complete (sorry the picture quality is low took these with my cell phone). I'll be hopfully getting my FBNs tomorrow and a few terrestrial plants.

fiske

AC Members
Apr 1, 2006
Pennsylvania
Don't know if you've gotten your plants yet but peace lilly works the best for me. Alot of plants, even tropicals, can't take the high humidity and rot.

JoeRags3

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Millstone Township, NJ
Sorry Trickster the set-up is the same. I opted not to put any terrestrial plants, I like the look of how it is now. I agree with Fiske, I dont know if the terestrail plants will with stand the humidity. I'm hopefully getting my FBN tomorrow, everytime I go they sell out. I put some ghost shrimp in; I am really enjoying the white clouds as well. I think my next step is going to upgrade to a MUCH larger tank. I have an old 55 Gal sittin in my basment the would make an awesome vivarium project :devil: (just need to find space and money).

As soon as I get my newts and get them settled in I'll be sure to update!

mtiller

wolf-pac
Jun 29, 2005
Georgia, United States
my local petsmart used to have FBN's but now they haven't had them in since a little after september i guess. i'm not really experienced in asking them to order stuff, as i don't know who to talk to or what. someday i'll get some more as i never really understood their full potential. maybe i'll even do a FBT, as i found those quite interesting too from experience.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
JoeRags3 said:
Sorry Trickster the set-up is the same. I opted not to put any terrestrial plants, I like the look of how it is now. I agree with Fiske, I dont know if the terestrail plants will with stand the humidity. I'm hopefully getting my FBN tomorrow, everytime I go they sell out. I put some ghost shrimp in; I am really enjoying the white clouds as well. I think my next step is going to upgrade to a MUCH larger tank. I have an old 55 Gal sittin in my basment the would make an awesome vivarium project :devil: (just need to find space and money).

As soon as I get my newts and get them settled in I'll be sure to update!
actually there are some plants that would work. I would go to your local nursery and try some Bog plants. :) There are tons of smaller plants that are usually sold around the water lilies. I would take a look in the up coming weeks. There are many I think would work for you. Just go and ask around. People at Nursies tend to be knowledgable people.

JoeRags3

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Millstone Township, NJ
tricksterpup said:
actually there are some plants that would work. I would go to your local nursery and try some Bog plants. :) There are tons of smaller plants that are usually sold around the water lilies. I would take a look in the up coming weeks. There are many I think would work for you. Just go and ask around. People at Nursies tend to be knowledgable people.
I will look into those, thanks trickster! I'll be sure to keep the photos coming with any updates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store