Walmart Fish of the Month Fire Belly Toads

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eugenet

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
Tennessee
Just wanted to give this update. By Saturday night when I had to go back to work, I checked and all the FBT's were gone. I thought that was strange because there were easily 15 or 20 left Friday morning when I bought mine. Finally last bight I found out what happened. The distributor calls back and tells the department manager that he discovered they were toxic :headshake2: So they had to pull them off the shelves and have him come pick them back up. Nine were sold in all, I got 3 myself, they don't know who bought the others and are nervous about a lawsuit if anyone gets sick over them :wall: I wanted a 4th one too :lipssealedsmilie:

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
They recalled them for toxins? Well that is normal with FBT. Their skin, the secretions have a mild toxin in them, so you just have to wash your hands after to be sure. I wouldn't worry too much, just don't put your hands in your mouth, eyes, or any other open area. You can pick another up at a Petsmart, I know when I worked at the one here we had them.

ARod

AC Members
Jun 30, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I work at PetCo and they are around $6.00, but each store carries different animals; I'm sure its the same with PetSmart, just call them and ask before you make an unnecessary trip.

canucksfan1

AC Members
Feb 26, 2007
Gibsons, B.C.
Just out of curiosity, how do u put crickets in the tank without them drowning?? I know they always drown in the water dish in my bro's scorpion tank.

eugenet

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
Tennessee
I either target feed them, or I just put 1 or 2 in there and put a piece of Cricket Quencher on the turtle dock to draw them in away from the water. Most of the time they don't last long enough to drown :grinyes:

:headbang2: :headbang2: :headbang2:

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
My god, that is HORRIBLE. If my Wal-Mart ever gets them, it's SPCA ASAP before they even realise they're toxic. Wow, thats just... Wow. I hope Wal-Marts globally get a huge fine for animal cruelty.

Last edited by a moderator:

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
My god, that is HORRIBLE. If my Wal-Mart ever gets them, it's SPCA ASAP before they even realise they're toxic. Wow, thats just... Wow. I hope Wal-Marts globally get a huge fine for animal cruelty.
Sorry to tell you, but humane fish treatment laws are virtually non-existant....

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Sorry to tell you, but humane fish treatment laws are virtually non-existant....
Laws still apply to reptiles though. I've heard of cases where people have been fined from lack of getting care for a reptile. It all depends on how the animal is classified, as a fish, or reptile/amphibian.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store