Want to set up a nano reef. 7 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lynsey

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I have a 7 gallon tank that has reef ready filtration (built-in wet/dry filter in the back part of the tank). It has four chambers in the back. The first one contains a sponge, the second chamber has big plastic bio balls, the third chamber has the heater (also for a protein skimmer), and the forth chamber has the powerhead that puts the water back in the tank. It also has a 13watt powercompact lighting.

Right now the powerhead runs at 180 liters/hr (or about 48 gal/hr). I can change it to something larger if needed. The light is just one power compact bulb (one brite white, one blue).

Would this be a proper tank for a nano reef. What corals, if any could I keep. I wanted to keep a solo fish. Or maybe a little blenny.

I have a 75 gallon freshwater setup, but I don't really know much about saltwater setups. I know that smaller setups are harder to maintain because of the smaller water volume (easier to make a mistake). I am willing to work on the tank alot, to make sure things are running smoothly.

Any advice would be helpful.

P.S. I have it set up as a freshwater tank right now. How would I switch it to saltwater. Should I just clean everything out, and then let it run with the saltwater for a while, how long? What kind of substrate? Anything would be helpful.

Well, theres lots of sites you can reed up on. A google search, or reefs.org, reef-central.com, nano-reefs.org well help.

A lot of people are moving away from wet/dry filtration that you have now, but you'll probaly end up reading about that better than I can explain it.

With that kind of lighting, you'll be really limited to what corals you can keep in the tank.

Make sure you dont add any medications to your freshwater tank now. Especialy nothing with copper.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store