water changes are not lowering nitrates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
He does use root tabs. Most of the time they don't affect water column nutrient levels especially if undisturbed. Could be the source of the extra nitrate though.
Depends on the root tabs,

DIY tabs made from Osmocote are notorious for raising nitrogen compounds, especially if they float up through the substrate or it is disturbed.

I do not see what sort of root tabs are being used, (nor do I want to read through again, nor watch a video, and I sure as anything don't want to ask another question) But I suspect that could be a good cause here.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

MotionInSilver

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
Duckweed for the time being until you get it figured out as they're the best in absorbing them they multiply like crazy with excess nitrates and the bonus is you can make a compost with the extras. Just keep scooping them to thin them out for the other plants to get the light they need

p0tluck

AC Members
Nov 9, 2015
sorry for being absent my dad ended up in the hospital with a clot on the brain and an aneurysm, i use flourish tabs and flourish comprehensive 2x weekly, will start excel when i get more plants, nitrates are still 50-60 but i just ordered finer substrate i can vac better , my only real question is are the nitrates in the water or in the waste, food in the gravel i guess thats where i am confused.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store