Water conditioners? Good or bad?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mickeymacleod

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
Right now I am using Cycle and AquaSafe at every water change. Could anyone tell me if these products are good or is there something better that I should be using. These were recommended by the pet store I bought the fish at and now, by reading alot of the posts here, it seems that they aren't always the most knowledgable people. Thanks for the help.

cattlegrid_79

AC Members
Mar 24, 2004
Brighton, England
www.altereagles.co.uk
You definitely need Aquasafe if you have chlorine or chloramine in your source water (from the mains water supply).

You don't say how established your tank is? If you're not still cycling the tank, then i'd be against using it. It will only add to the osmotic stress levels.

Other people may have differing opinions, though...

mickeymacleod

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
I've had this tank up and running in it's present location for about 3 months. Before I moved, it had been up for a couple of years. When I moved, I took as much of the original tank water as I could.

cattlegrid_79

AC Members
Mar 24, 2004
Brighton, England
www.altereagles.co.uk
Did you transfer any of the old filter media with you. There are very few of the beneficial bacteria carried within the water column. Bringing your old tank water across wouldn't have done a lot to help (however, it wouldn't have any detrimental effect either!).

If you transferred your established filter and/or media across to the new set-up, then there shouldn't be any problems. However, if you have set-up a new filter, this will need to cycle from the start.

Do you know what your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings are?

mickeymacleod

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
Do you know what your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings are?
<BR>
<BR>

Funny thing about that. Even though I've had fish tanks for a number of years, before coming here, I never knew the importance of knowing these things. So, no I donot know the levels. I haven't been in to get a testing kit yet. My next purchase.<BR>
<BR>
Did you transfer any of the old filter media with you.
<BR>
<BR>
Answer, no :shake: . Again, didn't realize it was needed.

On another note: I can do hours of geneology research, however, I really should have put that much time into fish research before I started. At least my fish seem to be hardy enough to weather my mistakes.

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
At three months, your tank should be fully cycled. Bringing the old water along was good, if you brought the gravel and filter along that even better.

I am not familiar with Aquasafe, but standard water conditioners are all pretty good and each has its fans. I myself use Novaqua. It depends on whether your local water system uses chlorine or chloramines (you can call and ask them) as to which one will be best for you.

Finally, the general consensus seems to be that Cycle doesn't do anything for a tank, especially if it's already cycled. Even in startup situations, just getting a mature filter cartridge or sponge, along with a little gravel from an established tank, will yield results better than Cycle.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
In my opinion, Cycle does little beyond separating you from your cash. Save your money.

Aquasafe is fine as a water conditioner. If your water has chloramines, you might want to consider Aquel, Prime, or AmmoLock2. These 3 will not only neutralize chlorine, but also the ammonia in chloraminated water.

HTH,
Jim

mickeymacleod

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys. Next trip to the store, Cycle out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store