water conditions... fish dyeing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Melvin Belton

AC Members
Aug 29, 2005
Disabled

Time even 2-3 months with those readings says that something is amiss. Did some one feed your fish while yopu were away? if so then there is the possibility of over feeding which will bring on the numbers you quoted real quick.
if not it sounds like this will be the first water change that you've done that will also cause the numbers that you have. wayer should be changed out at a rate of about 33% weekly or 50 % every two weeks or you will continue to have the same trouble over and over again. Although with as few fish as you have it may have taken this long for the nitrates to catch up with you. I do not recall if you mentioned any live plants or any other scavenger fish than the one albino cory for a tank that size should have more like six of them with some alge eaters their name is Octyo something about it takes about four or fiive for a tank your size. If you want to consider a few ghost shrimp they physicaly remove gunk off of everything in tour tank.. for now after the water change should help a lot if you hapen to have a wal-mart they should have in their pet department a product called ammo-carb it is a rock looking substance that if put in your filter will take a lot of the ammonia out and if mixed with catbon will remove nitrates there a are other products that will treat the water and help remove the nasties. If you can only find you ammo lock crystals (black and white rock looking stuff) you can use the foot part out ot one of your mothers old nylons (clean). remember to ask first then cut the foot off at the ankle part pour a few ounces of thw anti-ammo crystals into the toe tie a knot in the ankle and place in un the filter chamber of your power filter if you cannot get it into the filter place the bag on the gravel in a place that has some current so that water passes over bag. it wont be as efficient this war buy it will work.

misscrosson

Aquarium Addict
Sep 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Alright... I finally did a water change... and the Nitrite is at 0.6-0.8.... still high?...

I live in the middle of no where.... I only have one petstore close to me, but I still have to drive about 15-20mins to get to it.. and they really don't have much there...

As for the over feeding, I think that this is what did happen... my mom said that she fed the fish two times today while I was away... but I also had already told one of my brother's to feed the fish for me... so, they got fed about... 3-4 times today!

I was wonder if I reduced the length I leave the light on during the day if this will help? Maybe down to about... 5 hours a day?...

What else should I do... I dont have another tank to put the two white fish that look really sick... I do have a 2-3 gallon tank... but it didn't have a heater, just a pump and filter...

I hope to be able to get some money together to be able to go to my petstore tomorrow... any suggestions on what I should get?... also, how do I lower the nitrite?... and is my pH too high?

Melvin Belton

AC Members
Aug 29, 2005
Disabled

oh ya by the way mu tank stats are as follows;

1 75 Gal
1 Penguin Eemperor 500? bio wheel power filter
1 single 40W glo-gro flourecent tube
several species of live plants ( dont ask me their names they looked like what I wanted)
About 70 lb crushed shale stone with substrate mixed in
2 150 W heaters
two form fitting under gravel filter plates
two penguin 1150 powerheads
1 electronic thermometer
one bubble maker (ok it 's supossed to look like a waterfall)
six albilo corys
2 skunk corys
5 octos (dwarf suckermouth)
15 neon tetras
15 white clouds
24 young adult female guppies
?????? 2 week old to adolecent guppies
and a gazilllion snails that im trying to get rid of

1 90 gal
simular set up except 2 penguin 350 powerfilters
4 1150 power heads and no waterfall and a bubble curtin along the back wall
8 albino coriys
6 adult female guppies
2 adult male guppies
10 young adult male guppies
15 adolecent male guppies
?????3 week old to adolecent guppies
9 octos
10 ghost shrimp
3 clown botias
2 skunk botias
and not nearly as many snails

one other thing while I was typing this I remembered a man who's been doing this for a long time told me when I started keeping fish "you can never have to much filtration."

cyberbeer65

Scratch Glass!
Jan 29, 2005
Metro Detroit
www.myspace.com
Camera Used
Galaxy S10 Plus
I'd be doing the waterchanges and also I wouldn't feed for about a week.
Also i'd do a through gravel vac.

Melvin Belton

AC Members
Aug 29, 2005
Disabled

first it's the nitrates and ammonia that hurts, nitrites the fish can handle at low levels and it makes excellent plant food. the ammonia and nitrates are broken down by friendly bacteria (two kinds) that eat the bad stuff and expell the good
as a waste product kind of like if your mom bakes and uses yeast the yeast eats some of the sugars in the flour and produces Carbon dioxide gas that is how all the little holes get in the bread we eat. the only thing that will lower the nitrite in your tank is to do water changes not nearly as large but more often.
If you need to use your small tank as a Hospital tank if the water is clean and not to far off from the water in the big tank it should be ok to use it for a short time for a very limited number of fish and a very short time.
You still havent said how much filteration you have in your tank (it's gettin late and I'm gettin punchy) hows your aeration??? (bubblers, airstones, a sunken ship that bubbles anything like that) does your filter make the water bubble up when it puts the filtered water back in your tank if you use a power head if i shoots out bubbles thats good to. aeration is how oxygen and the not so healthy gasses get both into and out of your tank.
are the fish happier now that they have fresh water to swim in it may take a while for all of the symptoms to go away but if the fish are happier you should see it almost rIght away.
as far as water hardness im confused on that myself I'd like to keep itat a perfect 7.0 but the reality is that to much affects ph and unloess it is seriously acid or the otherway i pretty much leave it alone.

I hope this helps I havent typed so much since my college term papers.

misscrosson

Aquarium Addict
Sep 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
So, I shouldn't feed my fish for a week.. won't they starve? Because I used to feed them twice a day, as much as they would eat in 2mins...

Also, would a 25% water change every week be fine for awhile now... and once I did do the 75% water change I did notice the fish stopped hiding, and they now are all swimming around... I also heard that keeping your light on for a long period of time it creates waste?... Why I suggested possibly only keeping it on for 5hrs a day?

I have silk plants... no real ones... and I have a aqauclear 100... or 110... it filters the water back into the tank creating air bubbles...

The temp. of my tank is set 80F at the current moment, should I just keep it at there for the moment... ?

So if I just continue to do the water changes, and making sure that the Nitrite and Ammonia don't rise, just lower then my fishes health should come back?... Their colour will come back, and the one fish that's eye is turning red will go back to normal? About how long will I have to wait for everything to be back to normal?

Kasakato

SatCan
Sep 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Melvin Belton- Its the ammonia and nitrItes that's bad, nitrAtes are ok in low levels.

Try to stop feeding for 1 week. Fish can go for 3 weeks + without food. Also do another water change to get the nitrites to 0.5. It sounds like this maybe due to overfeeding, and maybe a one time thing. Just bring the nitrites down, and hopefully it will go away by it self. Right now there's no real way to tell if the tank is cycled or not, we need the nitrates reading. But if your LFS isn't so local try Big Als Online. www.bigalsonline.com

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
I would suggest doing at least 25 % water changes every day/every other day until you get the nitrate test kit. One for amonia would be good too. Once a week will not be enough if you still have high readings of nitrite, they can rise quickly. There aren't any dead fish in the tank that you missed are there?

Leaving the lights on does not "create" waste, but it can make algae grow more quickly. Since the fish are stressed due to the water condtions, it wouldn't hurt to leave the lights off for a few days just to give them some peace ;) !!

You temp. and ph are fine!

misscrosson

Aquarium Addict
Sep 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Well... ammonia is at 0...

I can't get the nitrate test till Thursday... so, should I just keep doing 25% water changes until the nitrites go down... and I get the nitrates finally tested?

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
I would just keep testing for nitrites then, and do the water changes as needed. The nitrate test kit (along with disappearing nitrite readings) will say for sure if the tank is cycled, or if something is going on. In the future, I would say not to have anyone feed the fish, unless you'll be gone for more than a couple of weeks :rolleyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store