Water dripping off the walls.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
I don't know what else to do except start giving fish away and dismantling tanks. And even if I start that, it'll probably take about six months. There's still water dripping off the walls after the heat falls mostly at night.
I installed expensive glass lids to sop water evaparation. I lowered tank temps. I bought a small closet dehumidifer, which hasn't absorbed any water despite that there's water dirpping.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
hmmm.... I don't understand why water is dripping down the walls. Sounds more like a house insulation or gutter problem, than it does the tank being the problem. If the gutters were full of debris before the winter set in, the water and ice hitting the house would offset a leak due to the heat coming from the house.... not because of the tanks. This happened to my sisters house and she didn't have any tanks set up at the time.

Eupterus

Jul 22, 2007
Funny thing is the dehumidifier is still just showing "blue" which means it hasn't absorbed any water. IF my hand towels were not soaking wet after I wiped down t he windows, I'd think there wasn't enough water for the dehumidifier to absorb.

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
We have some of the same problems and to solve it we just turn on the bathroom exhaust fans and let them run. We used to have mold growing in the windows from condensation because our house is so sealed up (one of the problems of newer homes). Now the mold problem is way down still have a little but nothing a little bleach water once every couple of months during the winter doesn't take care of.

Our plan is to install a whole house humidifier but that is still a couple of years down the road.

Eupterus

Jul 22, 2007
There's been mold on the windows too, probably is again since I've been gone and haven't been wiping up water...I thought I finally solved this issue and it came back:(...The door has become rusty and makes a lot of noise from moisture dripping down.

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
Could it be that an overhead water pipe has a small leak? I seem to have missed some of this conversation, maybe in another thread... is it all over the house, or in one spot, or room?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
what kind of dehumidifier do you have?

is it a mechanical unit ?

I use to use Dri z air dehumidifiers.. they use a crystal

I had an older house at the time and the insulation was ok but not great.
the walls during winter we too cool and the warm air would cause condensation on exterior walls.

we fixed it by using a wood stove(certified) which would actually suck humidity out.
but in the closet I had dri z air and they did work.

these units are in expensive to use to test with. I suspect tho that the unit you have may not be functioning correctly

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
All you have to do is buy a cheap window de-humidifier which will have a readout and I expect it will read humidity above 45% as water will condensate above 50%.

If you live in an apartment with a hallway try placing a fan in the door, above the door if there is a window, or box fan with a custom made cardboard conduit/duct tape blowing air out under the door.

Another way is to place a cheap box fan blowing into the attic crawl space which usually has attic vents.

Another way would be to go to cold water fish which will drop condensation as the colder water temperature matches the ambient colder room temperature which is why you are getting so much water, hot tanks vs cold room.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store