Water frustrations... more apple snails, same problem!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Unikorn

AC Members
Feb 9, 2012
seattle,wa
if there are water issues wouldn't you not want to raise the temperature of the tank? I thought this concentrates the issues in the tank and makes it worse for the snails?

Chickadee

Snail addict
Dec 26, 2010
Traverse City, MI
She's doing a little better! Last night she was stuck to the thermometer. I laid a tiny piece of broccoli next to her and she trapped it with her foot! Lots was left behind after she moved, but it was mangled so I know she ate some of it. First time she's shown any interest in food in over a week. She's still lethargic and not out of the woods yet, but I'm feeling hopeful that she might survive. I have more questions about her health and recovery that I will post on the invert board.

Thanks for all the replies and advice!

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
if there are water issues wouldn't you not want to raise the temperature of the tank? I thought this concentrates the issues in the tank and makes it worse for the snails?
If there was an ammonia issue or high nitrites, no you wouldn't want to raise the temp. It does indeed make it worse. Though that isn't the issue here it seems more like a contaminate possibly.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
raising the temperature in an apple snail tank can mean a shorter life span for the snail, since a higher temperature can raise their metabolism. with my 7 or so generations of apple snails, i kept my tanks no higher than 75/76.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
raising the temperature in an apple snail tank can mean a shorter life span for the snail, since a higher temperature can raise their metabolism. with my 7 or so generations of apple snails, i kept my tanks no higher than 75/76.

Thanks for the info BettaFishMommy. I knew raising the temp made them more active and that's why I suggested it, to see if that would help her snail perk up. I never thought about that, in the long term, it could shorten their lifespans but it does make sense. I keep my tanks around 77-78 and haven't really thought about keeping it a tad lower for the snails. I have had several dozen hatched clutches over the years but no clue on how many generations that would account for in the tank. I have been removing the clutches for the past year or so because of an over abundance of snails.

MoonstruckMuse

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
Whenever metabolism is higher, life span is shorter. Happens with all organisms, controlling for variables. Just a simple rule of biology, though there are plenty of variables that render that to not be such a hard and fast rule.

Just a thought - for your other tanks, have you tried running a carbon filter on ALL of them for a week with no fish/snails in them? It would help de-leach any nasty chemicals left behind from ANYTHING. Carbon is the chemical equivalent of a giant sponge.

It sounds like you're on the right track with your current snail. =) It's always encouraging to see someone who cares for their pets so deeply (and I have a HUUUUGE soft spot for snails!) and I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Chickadee

Snail addict
Dec 26, 2010
Traverse City, MI
Just a thought - for your other tanks, have you tried running a carbon filter on ALL of them for a week with no fish/snails in them? It would help de-leach any nasty chemicals left behind from ANYTHING. Carbon is the chemical equivalent of a giant sponge.
I was wondering if that would work! I will do that, because I really wanted to use that other tank for more snails.
It's always encouraging to see someone who cares for their pets so deeply (and I have a HUUUUGE soft spot for snails!) and I'm crossing my fingers for you!
Aw, thanks! I love snails too. I think they're fascinating to watch.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
if any previous medication has leached into the silicone on the tank, running carbon won't do anything for that.

i would use a different tank, one that you are sure has not had any meds used in it before.

Chickadee

Snail addict
Dec 26, 2010
Traverse City, MI
Okay, it's definitely the tank and the water in it. Even though I've been running charcoal for 6 days and have done thousands of water changes. :screwy:

Tonight, after testing the params (ammonia & nitrite 0, nitrate 20), I put the snail back in. She started crawling all over with her tentacles up. I could see slime trailing behind her but wasn't sure if it was from earlier. Then she crawled up the side to the surface, got halfway out of the water and stayed put. An hour later her foot seemed to be shriveling up and she started losing her grip on the wall. Her face was crinkled up into her shell. Just like before! So I put her back in the little bowl with the same tank water. I wanted to see if it was the tank or the water. She continued to partially float motionless in the bowl. After an hour I removed 75% of that water and replaced it with fresh. Now she's starting to liven up. So the problem must be the tank and whatever water is in it. Makes no sense to me, but that's what it is. Guess I'll have to go out and buy a whole new tank and substrate. I wonder if I need to get a new filter too? Anyway, at least I know where the problem is. Here's a pic of her latest romp in the tank just before she went comatose again. See the cloud of slime? Crazy. :huh:

2012_03240014.JPG

2012_03240014.JPG

Last edited:

Chickadee

Snail addict
Dec 26, 2010
Traverse City, MI
Hi BFM, didn't see your post right away because I was writing mine. I did switch tanks. This is not the one that had the meds in it. It is the original heater and filter though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store