~Water Levels~

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jamzwayne

I love Pl3co's
Jul 28, 2004
Athens, TX
www.thegodshatetexas.com
I know that evaporation plays a part in tank maintence (who doesnt, right).

My question is, it seems like I am adding 3-4 GAL of water every other day....usually when I am feeding.

I have a 55 GAL, not in any sunlight. My lights to my tank stay on all day, until about 10PM when I go to bed, and turn I them on about 7AM before I leave for work.

Now, I am not sure what kind of lights I have....I just know they are extremely bright.

~Could it be the lighting?~

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
How's your humidity level inside/outside the house?

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
The level of humidity will make a difference. If it's dry, you're going to get more evap than normal.

Or maybe the dog found a new place to drink...?

jamzwayne

I love Pl3co's
Jul 28, 2004
Athens, TX
www.thegodshatetexas.com
I fight Ben (my cat) everyday...I have a squirt bottle full of water, when I see him up there..I just squirt him with that....cool little training tool. It also helps with them clawing on the furniture...

Major job....cats, I mean. :thud:

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
jamzwayne,
I find in my set-ups that humidity is the number one influence, airflow is number two and temp differential is number 3. When we run the AC the air in my basement gets dryer, and evaporation increases. when we shut off the AC and the air gets moist, almost no water leaves my tanks. My dehumidifier output in the basement is a good indicator of humidity levels, and the more water I get out of the dehumidifier the less i lose from the tanks. Next is airflow. my office has a fan. If I forget to turn it off when I leave home on Monday, the 115 will lose considerably more water than when the fan is off. The utility tanks are in an area that receives very limited airflow and therefore they almost never drop water level over the course of a week. Lastly I do see an increase in evaporation when the basement is cooler than my tanks. It has been hard to figure how much of an influence because of the humidity level thing going on with and without the AC.however there have only been a couple of weeks when the basement wasn't at or below tank temp and during that time the tanks had no visible loss of water, they of course did have an increase in tank temp to match room temp.
Dave

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store