Water Spider?!?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
Those things are cool as heck!!. I looked them up on EOL http://eol.org/pages/1200199/details (I just learned of this website not long ago.....awesome). Need cold/temperate water though wouldn't you with their native range?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I had to go and look them up ... *shivers*
Indeed...good gods those things are heinous. They'll get munched by the fish or at least hassled I would imagine.

:cheers:

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
They are an amazing species. If you wanted to do them in a fish tank, I'd get a breeding population of guppies and ghost shrimp going. The spiders can then dine on shrimp and fish whenever they want. Wouldn't hurt to get a 30tall and fill it up halfway with some floating plants and hanging plants... some nice lights... the fish... driftwood and aquatic plants.. perfect for the spiders to live in. Indeed, you could make an amazing tank with these, as their webs would be like reverse water-drops and such. I can imagine a tank like that...

As for people who said "they're poisonous, be careful", same goes for fish like lionfish (saltwater). Also, can't help but wonder what people thought when some guy said "Ima put some fish in a glass box!" lol, kinda like putting spiders in a fish tank...

Misled_Youth

AC Members
Dec 12, 2011
Deerfield, IL
Wow thanks all for the info :D see i have a lot of hanging plants in my 30 gal which i thought would be perfect for the spider to make his nest but if they're aggressive to the fish i'd rather not risk it. so i think i might get a seperate 5 gallon betta tank and keep him in there. but they're an intriguing species and i'll keep you guys updated on this little project! Once again thank you!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
They are an amazing species. If you wanted to do them in a fish tank, I'd get a breeding population of guppies and ghost shrimp going. The spiders can then dine on shrimp and fish whenever they want. Wouldn't hurt to get a 30tall and fill it up halfway with some floating plants and hanging plants... some nice lights... the fish... driftwood and aquatic plants.. perfect for the spiders to live in. Indeed, you could make an amazing tank with these, as their webs would be like reverse water-drops and such. I can imagine a tank like that...

As for people who said "they're poisonous, be careful", same goes for fish like lionfish (saltwater). Also, can't help but wonder what people thought when some guy said "Ima put some fish in a glass box!" lol, kinda like putting spiders in a fish tank...
Lionfish are most definitely not "poisonous". Feel free to eat all you like. Same goes for spiders. Both come with built in toothpicks that you might want to be careful with however.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Lionfish are most definitely not "poisonous". Feel free to eat all you like. Same goes for spiders. Both come with built in toothpicks that you might want to be careful with however.
I have never claimed to be good at differentiating between the flesh of a creature and it's ability to kill you if you **** it off.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I have never claimed to be good at differentiating between the flesh of a creature and it's ability to kill you if you **** it off.
Then watch what you eat and keep as a pet!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Then watch what you eat and keep as a pet!
I did manage to survive to be 18 you know :p (though I personally have no idea how... the number of probably dangerous creatures I've kept in a jar...) Also, for the record, I am very careful with all things arachnid. I always assume it can kill me, and so use paper, cups and the like to carry them outside. Then I put them down, shudder, and walk away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store