Water too hard for Amazon Sword

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
alex7ktrc said:
Hey Harlock, what kind of fertilizer do you use, and how is it applied?
I use Flourish and Flourish Excel, that's it. I seem to break the mold in plants at times. I use no root ferts. My amazon is in the pohot in the link in my sig, on the bottom right hand side. It came to me in bad shape. Now it's a lovely deep green with many leaves.

biogirl361

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
Michigan
XMAN said:
You will probably want to fertilize the substrate with something like jobe's plant spikes, rather than use a water column fertilizer.
i'd spend the extra money for some of the substrate tabs meant specifically for the aquarium. i used some jobe's spikes and then one time after a gravel vac one got uprooted and floated all around the tank, and now i have a breakout of algae of which i have identified at least 5 different varieties. i have never seen anything like this despite all my other newbie trial and errors while working on making a planted tank. leave the jobes for houseplants and just get the root tabs if you fertilize substrate at all.

midiamin

MidiAmin
Jan 29, 2005
San Francisco
Not many folks no this but Amazon need extra iron in order to really flourish. The symptoms describe seem to fit into the category of not enough iron. I've grown amazon swords in low light with no problem. Try it! You AS might like it. But be careful. Too much iron can cause the worse hair alga bloom you have ever seen. Get an iron test kit if you decide to try it. Needs monitoring.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store