Watts per Gallon Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jri4

AC Members
May 15, 2008
Just out of pure curiosity, what type of coral and "reef" organisms could be grown with around 4-5 watts of light per gallon?

As you can probably tell by this idiotic question, I am by no means a saltwater guy!:headshake2: I figured I'd ask those who know best... the Experts!

Thanks everyone!

Beowulff83

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Wellington Oh,
im new to salt water too but i do know that the watts per gal will tell you nothing for reef keeping. different bulbs put out watts differently. IE a 60w incandesent is = to a 15w cfl. Also you have to consider the color spectrum. Normaly with reef you need 10000k. There is a ton more too it but thats all im comfortable saying right now since i am still researching the subject.

jri4

AC Members
May 15, 2008
Cool, I understand that Actinic Blue light is good as well as 10,000K Super Daylight bulbs. But when it comes down to it, for example, is 280 watts in a 75 gallon tank (approx. 4 watts per gallon) enough lighting for (I think they are called) hard corals and clams and such?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Cool, I understand that Actinic Blue light is good as well as 10,000K Super Daylight bulbs. But when it comes down to it, for example, is 280 watts in a 75 gallon tank (approx. 4 watts per gallon) enough lighting for (I think they are called) hard corals and clams and such?
Again, it depends upon the type of lighting you are using. If that wattage is composed of T-5 fluorescents and/or metal halide lighting, then the answer would be "yes." If it is composed of anything else, then no (at least 'no' on the clams--will depend upon the types of corals, however).

jri4

AC Members
May 15, 2008
I'm looking at either: Compact Flourescent or T-5 rated at whatever it takes to get get around 4 watts per gallon.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Heh, stop concentrating on watts per gallon :silly:. It is nearly meaningless. Focus on the overall amount of usable light for the inhabitants. The best measure for this is PAR (or photosynthetically active radiation), which measures the amount of light within the proper wavelengths. In this respect, the T-5s are immensely brighter than compacts Watt for watt, they emit much more light. There really isn't even a comparison between the two...

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Good reflectors go a long way, as well.

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I agree with you Amphiprion but they really do need individual reflectors and a good quality bulb to get the best bang for the buck. T-5's generate much less heat and last almost twice as long as PC's. If you were to put 6 quality T-5 bulbs with individual reflectors over you 75 you should be able to keep anything you might want, even clams all the way down to the sand bed and nems.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Certainly. When I refer to T5s, individual reflectors are a given for me, so I sometimes forget to include them. I don't think of T5s without individual reflectors.

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
Certainly. When I refer to T5s, individual reflectors are a given for me, so I sometimes forget to include them. I don't think of T5s without individual reflectors.
Well I thought you included the reflectors but a lot of newbies just look at T-5s without looking for individual reflectors. Didnt mean to step on your toes on that one LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store