Weird algea

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wetmanNY

AC Members
If you lower the water level enough so that the filter outflow creates some splash, punch, that may be enough. Various oxidizers have been used to counter cyanobacteria: potassium permanganate, hydrogen peroxide. Lowering dissolved organics and encouraging plants to photosynthesize both raise O2 levels in the water.

(Cyanobacteria invented the kind of photosynthesis that produced oxygen (a while back). For them, O2 is waste. Too much oxygen represses cyanobacteria. That's the theory anyway.)

Your "photoperiod" setting on your light timer shouldn't be longer than nine hours for now. Cyanobacteria have no diurnal clock to stop them: they keep on going, unlike algae and plants. Long "lit" hours favor cyanobacteria without benefiting plants. --That's shorter hours, not less light.

And keep siphoning the stuff up, as HazyWater and others have suggested.

punch

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Petaluma, CA
Well I tested my parameters last night and the results are
PH 6.5 :confused: Was holding steady at 7
KH 5
GH 8
NO2 <0.3mg/l
NO3 0mg/l-12.5mg/l
NH3/4 0mg/l
Dossing 6 drops of Plantguild Gold every day.
I lowered my co2 and the fish didn't seem affected by that hi co2 consatration, thank goodness. But the funny thing is... The slime was GONE:eek: Maybe the hi CO2 killed it off? Well there was a couple of little spots on some gravel, but very little!
So I guess life in the fish bowl is once again ok!
Thanks for everybody's help!

wetmanNY

AC Members
I'm always surprised to hear that people continue to add a daily dose of fertilizer --even while they struggle with algae. You'd think fertilizer made plants grow!The next time you're struggling with algae, though, do stop fertilizing until you have the system balanced once more.

Just my two cents. I feel you can have a beautiful garden setting without a 700-pound watermelon. My plants increase slowly, even though I prune out tired-looking leaves. I put a little fertilizer inthe make-up water. That way I'm sure that unused nutrients aren't building up.

If I could securely tell signs of toxicity from signs of nutrient depletion, maybe I'd push the system. ...naw, that doesn't sound like me...

punch

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Petaluma, CA
Well, I'm just dossing what the package says to do, and if the truth be known, I don't remember to do it EVERY day. More like every other. As algea goes, I don't realy have that much of a problem with it. Never got a bad out break or anything. Do have to scrape the glass every other week and a little cleaning, but I figure thats normal maintence. If you have a planted tank your gonna have SOME algea. You just have to get a ballance you can deal with. My plants grow steadaly and not wild, So over all I'm happy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store