Weird questions regarding filtration....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
I searched but couldn't really find an answer........hence this question for all you pros out there. ;)
#1) Can ceramic rings become too old? Can they become so old that they no longer perform their duty or worse, start leaching or breaking down and putting "stuff" back into the tank?
#2) Do you really need chemical filtration, charcoal or that zeolite stuff or.....? If so, can you just rinse and repeat a few times (or how many times) before replacing? If left in the filter too long, can this breakdown and do the reverse like said above, for example starting to put ammonia back into the tank?
I'm curious as I've had a few "weird" things happen and my equipment is approx. 12 years old.
I have 2 HOB aquaclear 70's. Both HOBs have mechanical (foam sponge and/or filter floss), chemical (either activated charcoal or the charcoal zeolite bag) and biological (Ceramic rings).

The ceramic rings have NEVER been replaced, just rinsed with tank water from water changes. I honestly don't replace the chemical components too often, just rinse and put back. I know they say around 3-4 weeks for replacing, is this really proven the best or is it a ploy to buy, buy, buy?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Ceramic rings that are sold as bio-media can become clogged with fine debris over time as well as dead bacteria which is probably why it is suggested to replace a portion of it regularly. However, I have never replaced ceramic bio-media in my filters but do vigorously clean in tap water 1/3 of that media when servicing the filter. In my canister filters I have noticed that some ceramic media gets smaller over the years but that is probably due to the water flow. I'm not aware that anything will leach back to your tank for this type media.

Chemical media use is a personal option and its use will depend on what you are trying to accomplish. As far as I know, the only way to tell if it is exhausted is by seeing a change in its ability to do what it originally was used for. The only chemical media I've ever used was carbon when either removing medication from a tank or trying to improve water clarity.

Reactions: kooter

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I just wash my Bio-Media and have never tossed them. They are not used as a filtration media, just a place for the bacteria to attach to, so in theory should last forever.
I do not use chemical media because they do not last too long---a few weeks at best.

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
It makes sense to me. Thanks for the replies. I'm having issues once in awhile with my bottom dwellers. Since it's just the bottom dwellers, I didn't think it was the filtration system. About every year I lose my bottom dwellers and have never been able to keep cory's. I believe I have found the culprit. After much research I believe it's due to oxygen depletion in the bottom of the tank. I couldn't narrow it down since all middle and top inhabitants are always healthy. I've tore apart my tank many times and replaced filters, media, substrate, decorations, etc. but every time, after approximately 1 year, all bottom dwellers die almost completely within a week. Like I said, I believe it's due to oxygen depletion because this is when my plants have "taken over" and I believe at night the oxygen is low. Not only that, I think some of my decorations "hold onto" some of the gas build up if I do not completely turn them upside down once in awhile. So when my bottom fish go to hide, they get poisoned. :(
Just wanted to see what other folks thought about the media situation. Thanks again!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I don't follow your oxygen depletion theory. Maybe you need better circulation to the bottom of the tank or even and an air stone that runs at night.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I do not think that it is the lack of O2 in the bottom of your tank. Coyrs come to the come to the surface for air. Are the corys getting enough food? How are you feeing them? Do you do a gravel vac?

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
I bought a 36" bubble wand and air pump the other day. I'm going to set it up to automatically come on as soon as the lights go out and I'll let you know how that works. tanker - true, but it was just a theory,..... I have to try to eliminate this theory first. I honestly haven't tried cory's in a very long time since I had so much difficulty with them. I have an aquaclear 150 powerhead at the bottom of the tank circulating the water so...? The only other thing I can think of is pH swing. I have little to no kH and/or gH with a pH hovering around 6.0. With the plants, this may cause the pH to swing at night? I don't know..... once I get the bubble wand and do a mythbusters experiment, I'll go from there. ;)

PS - Yes, I gravel vac once a week with a 15%-20% water change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store