Welcome to the Brackish Forums! Puffer threads go in this forum, as new threads

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Guess not.

:(

gonefishin

corn-eyed finless brown trout?
Sep 17, 2004
Lake Tahoe
I just got a freshwater 80 gal and my brother added a red eyed puffer. at first i hated him because all my chiclids lost thier tales. now that he has established his terratory and is being fed goldies and the occasional fancy guppie, the chiclids have grown thier tales back and i've grown to like him. I've been told he needs brackish water but i've also read they do fine in fresh. when i get pictures i'll post them.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
gonefishin- Welcome to Aquaria Central! Just be careful with the Red eye. I guess it actually depends on the species you have. One puffer that is commonly called the Red Eye puffer is also called the Twinspot and I believe sci name is T. leirus (I'm not 100% sure, will have to look up). If it is the Twinspot then I would definitely recommend removing it. They are known terrors and will kill off all fish in the tank. Mine did. And if it is leirus, then it is a strictly freshwater puff, if I remember right (might like a little salt). Anyway, hope this helps. And welcome.

gonefishin

Sep 17, 2004
Lake Tahoe
Thanx for the welcome and the info. Last night he took a fin off one of my jewels. I'm still up in arms weather to move him to his own tank. I know it would be best for my other fish but i need to get my other tank divided to accept him or get a new one. well see

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I would definitely separate the red-eye from the rest. Like Mono, I've heard of horrible encounters when pacing those guys in with other fish. Not sure if one species is better (nicer) than the other, but I wouldn't chance any with any. Since you are noticing his tendencies, I'd say separate him sooner than later....

gonefishin

Sep 17, 2004
Lake Tahoe
well i'm one JD short this morning, I bet you all can guess as good as I can where he went. I'm supprised he lasted as long as he did, he was smaller than some of the goldies a fed ole red eye. today I will go the store and get a new puffer only tank so this won't happen again. Any ideas what size? he's still small, about 2" long, and i'm thinking (since he doesn't move much and will have the place all to himself) a 5 gallon would be fine.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Lack of activity during the day has little effect on the bioload of a predator - they are still messy fish which also happen to require good water quality. I'd say no less than a ten gallon, heavily planted, and large (1/3 -1/2) weekly water changes.

tinister

AC Members
Dec 11, 2004
HELP!! Something's wrong with my puffer!

Hey, guys-

My Target Puffer is acting a little strange. He hovers at about mid tank and is constantly huffing and puffing - opening and closing his mouth.

Other than that - he is very healthy looking - good color and not dark at all - with clear eyes. He's also eating normally also and active.

And the water quality is fine - just did a 50% change 3 days ago.

I'm thinking maybe he's eaten too much? What do you think?

Tinster

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Please post ammonia, nitrItes, nitrAtes & pH.

tinister

AC Members
Dec 11, 2004
My tank levels...

Hi, Pufferpunk. Happy Holidays!

My tank levels seem to be normal - all at 0, except my nitrates which are about 20. My SG is 1.005-6. I changed the water about 3 or four days ago.

I bought some PRIME Nitrite/Nitrate Detoxifier yesterday and after adding it - my puffer seems to be huffing and puffing less today.

The other thing that I forgot to mention was that my five Tiger Barbs were all clustered at the surface of the water yesterday. Today - after the PRIME - they are back to swimming around near the center/bottom of the tank.

Must have been my nitrites/nitrates level, huh?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store