Well Water Help?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
It is very common for the pH to rise overnight and then start retreating. Once the water is an established tank it might make a drastic change. The Malawi do not need to be in a particular pH inasmuch as they need it to be stable. I do not worry abbout pH as much as I watch my other numbers. By the time my tank had cycled, the pH dropped to 6.4-6.8 and stays there. I do not adjust it at any time. Almost all my tanks generate the same reading. Setting my water out overnight gets the same numbers as yours but once in the aquarium all bets are off.

FWITW - I have a shallow well.

Zbbal

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Sevierville, TN
I like crushed coral, some people hate it. One of my tanks has crushed coral mixed with gravel. I would not stress too much on the pH. Temperature swings I think stress out fish more than small pH swing from water changes. Your fish will adjust to the water you use. Stay away from pH up and pH down products. With your well water, you will not need a bunch of chemicals. Feel lucky you do not have the issues that others have. I know I am glad to be back in a place that has well water.
Temperature won't be a problem. For one, my room stays a constant temperature, so that helps. Also, I'm going to purchase two heaters for the tank, just in case.

I think the biggest issue I'm glad I don't have to deal with it actually PAYING for the water. Gotta love having it free.

Zbbal

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Sevierville, TN
It is very common for the pH to rise overnight and then start retreating. Once the water is an established tank it might make a drastic change. The Malawi do not need to be in a particular pH inasmuch as they need it to be stable. I do not worry abbout pH as much as I watch my other numbers. By the time my tank had cycled, the pH dropped to 6.4-6.8 and stays there. I do not adjust it at any time. Almost all my tanks generate the same reading. Setting my water out overnight gets the same numbers as yours but once in the aquarium all bets are off.

FWITW - I have a shallow well.
Very good point. I'm filling the tank up when I get home tonight, so I can start cycling ASAP. Only time will tell.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Get yourself a KH test kit. Knowing those numbers can give you a pretty good idea as to how readily your pH will be to go down. A GH kit would be nice too since Africans are your goal.

Jill-O

All American Girl (all grown up)
Personally, I think our well water is pne big reason why our fish thrive. I do huge weekly water changes (80% +)... but of course, my well water is not necessarily like your well water. It will really vary depending on enviromental factors.

kiddevo

AC Members
Sep 7, 2010
Temperature won't be a problem. For one, my room stays a constant temperature, so that helps. Also, I'm going to purchase two heaters for the tank, just in case.

I think the biggest issue I'm glad I don't have to deal with it actually PAYING for the water. Gotta love having it free.
City folk pay for the water supply. "Well" folks pay the electricty it takes to pump it to the house. Everyone pays one way or another! Unless you go out side and pump it by hand. If you do... more power to you.

johnlarson66

These Pandas Rock
Sep 25, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.facebook.com
Real Name
John Larson
City folk pay for the water supply. "Well" folks pay the electricty it takes to pump it to the house. Everyone pays one way or another! Unless you go out side and pump it by hand. If you do... more power to you.
The bad part about city water is the sewage cost. It seems that is where they get you. I have been told it is about a dollar a day to run the well, I am not sure if that is true, could be like the one fish per gallon rule. Either way, I want to buy solar collectors and batteries to run my water pump. I also want to heat my water with roof radiators. I have some other "green" ideas. I also have wanted to do an auto fill system on my tanks forever with the runoff going to a garden. Now that I am down to three tanks, I might get that going.

flyinggig

AC Members
Jan 7, 2012
Trinity Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador
Real Name
Greg
I have a gravity fed dug well (on a spring) and have been using it for a year now untreated. No pump or problems here! I've also just setup a 14g FOWLR saltwater tank and am using natural sea water 200 feet from my house...... all Jessy James Freebies!

kiddevo

AC Members
Sep 7, 2010
I have a gravity fed dug well (on a spring) and have been using it for a year now untreated. No pump or problems here! I've also just setup a 14g FOWLR saltwater tank and am using natural sea water 200 feet from my house...... all Jessy James Freebies!
That's pretty cool. How do you generate any pressure for showers? Or do I not wanto to know lol...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store