welts/growths on turtles neck

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
I work at a chain pet store, and often the yellow belly sliders we get in have large, open welts on their necks. Although we maintain suitable conditions for them in-store and quarantine the sick turtles I have yet to see a turtle recover from this. Is this characteristic of any disease or mistreatment? Any advise on on how I can treat them is greatly appreciated, thanks

BallAquatics

Fish Breeder
Oct 9, 2010
Central Ohio, USA
www.ballaquatics.com
Real Name
Dennis Ball
Found this on a UK site... hope it helps.

There could be various reasons for excessive shedding (if you can see it flaking off it's excessive), the most common is overfeeding but it can also be caused by the water being too warm, poor water quality, or a skin infection.

The welts sound like an infection.

The first thing to do is treat it, you need to remove it from the tank and place it in a dry box, a plastic storage box is ideal, with a spotlamp to keep it warm and dry. Clean the welts with an iodine solution and let it dry for a couple of hours, after which you can give the turt a couple of inches of damp sphagnum moss to dig around in.

Let the turt swim in fresh clean water for a couple of hours each day before repeating this treatment until the welts start to heal, it shouldn't take very long.

While it's being treated you need to check your water and basking temps, and if you don't do it already start testing your water regularly to monitor the quality.

(http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/shelled-turtles-tortoise/154193-turtle-welts-neck.html)

Dennis

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Pics? Are they wild caught? Turtles can get scares from being bit by leeches.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
IT looks like fungus. What you can do is swab the spots with betadine and let the turtle stay dry for a few hours a day until it's completely gone. Try to do this at least twice a day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store