Went to my first auction...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I continue to find that with mbunas, they are unpredictable and can be, as I believe Coler would say, little buggers.
:iagree:...Good luck in the Extravaganza!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
From watching the tank this evening, it looks like it was the lab exasperatus and my acei that were paying the most attention to him. Plus the zebra did join in some as well. I'm thinking it may have been mob mentality, since the Vic was the largest fish next to the exasperatus.
How is that lab exasperatus? Isn't him Melanochromis joanjohnsonae AKA M. exasperatus?

mcybyk

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
How is that lab exasperatus? Isn't him Melanochromis joanjohnsonae AKA M. exasperatus?

Efors - here is a photo of what I was told some time ago was a Lab Exasperatus by my lfs and from a post a long time ago here on this site. However, after looking at the photos of the Melanochromis joanjohnsonae, I may have to change my signature to reflect your comments. He tends to get a shimmer of orange throughout his body at times. What do you think?

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Well my friend, check this; very interesting info. But the fish appears to be really classified at this moment as a Melanochromis; even when some people think it looks more like a Labidochromis and was originally classified as that. At this moment, its name should be M. joanjohnsonae.

http://www.african-cichlid.com/Joanjohnsonae.htm

Last edited:

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
not to hijack the thread, but the tail end of this one (see circle) is identical to a fish i have. what is the name of it? i was sold mine as 'tangerine tiger' cichlid that may have had a pigmentation deformity, then was told once it was a peacock cichlid..... lol. can ya tell me what the heck my Grindle is please? i'm so confused still on all the various cichlid names! and yeah, i know google can be my friend, but i'm just too darn lazy....... :p

100_1369.jpg

and oh, fish auctions rule!

100_1369.jpg

mcybyk

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Efors - :bowing: Man you guys are good here. Thanks for the info - I have updated my sig accordingly. BTW - the Vic didn't make it even after I pulled him out. I will post pics of the afra to confirm that it is in fact an afra when I get a chance.

Betta - Here is a better picture of the fish you asked about:

Unless Efors tells me otherwise, this is my Metriaclima Estherae. Hope this helps you out.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Mel. joanjohnsonae has been known in the aquarium trade as "Exasperatus" for as long as I've been in the biz.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Efors - :bowing: Man you guys are good here. Thanks for the info
You are always welcome, my friend! I feel very glad for being of some help. I'm sorry about the Vic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store