were to buy peacock bass?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

graphicdesign_r

Tact is for the weak.
Oct 31, 2005
In your nightmares.
Unless you currently have a tank you will be moving them into when they outgrow a "normal" tank, or have the blueprints all ready for one you shouldn't buy these fish IMO.

By the time they get that big you will not find an LFS that will take them, and they cannot be re-introduced into the wild, so you will have to euthanize them. It's not "over-dueing" it, it's common sense. If you told me you had a huge tank now I would encourage you to keep these fish. By your response it is evident you don't currently have such a setup.

These fish grow up to 27 pounds. That's well over two feet long, and judging by the pictures of them I've seen that would outgrow almost any "residential" tank size.

Isn't it wonderful to torture an animal to death so we can enjoy it's beauty?

Mako

EET MOR KATFISH
Nov 19, 2001
Wake Forest, NC
Visit site
g_morin said:
for about a year they will do in a normal house tank obviously not a 10gallon buta large tank. but thank you for the sites a have already purchased two of them.

This happens all the time. Not to attack you, g_morin, because I've made the same mistake. But you seem to be putting the cart before the horse-- you are assuming that you will be able to afford a larger tank or have room for a larger tank or have time for a larger tank a year down the road, and it just may not be the case!

Peacocks will grow to well over a foot, I've seen them close to two feet. That's a big da....uh, dern... fish. I'm hoping your planning on putting thousands of dollars into a tank well over the 150 range. Otherwise you are responsible for the welfare of an animal you can't handle.

I took on a 4 foot iguana once. He hated being in that 55 gallon tank I had him in (he didn't care much for the oscars... ok I'm kidding- no water in the tank). I was given him free. I soon found out why. A big animal is a big, big responsibility. I eventually gave him away free too, 6 inches and 4 months later. The new owner killed it in less than 3 months. Poor animal never stood a chance. She starved it to death on nutrient defficiency and cramped space-- it developed an infection and died "out of nowhere" .

graphicdesign_r

Tact is for the weak.
Oct 31, 2005
In your nightmares.
Maybe he's raising them to eat! That would be fine if they were kept in cramped spaces like veal cows! NICE and TENDER. :shark:

Turn the tables... didn't they have carnivorous seabass in that Austin Powers movie?

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
one of the LFS in our town carries them. I think the tank said 12.XX whereas XX I dont know what the cent's were anymore, if you want one I can pick one up for you and Ship. PM me if your interested.

g_morin

AC Members
Nov 26, 2005
right now in my house i dont have the space for the tank i want but i move out in 4 months and i am good friends with my local fish store guy and hes giving my a deal on a 250 gallon tank lid and canopy for a price im not eve gonna mention thats how cheap! so yeah i have plans and no im not gonna torture them and if the do get to big i have a thing called mystic aquarium in my state that will take fish thanks again.

graphicdesign_r

Tact is for the weak.
Oct 31, 2005
In your nightmares.
Sweet. Nice tank, it won't fit them forever, but they'll be OK for awhile. I'm familiar with Mystic Aquarium... They'll take in fish?!? Learn something new every day...

Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store