WetmanNY's assistance may be needed on this one.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

optix

Rent-a-mod
Dec 30, 2002
Dayton area of ohio
Visit site
I have an oscar who was laying on his side and only using his right gill??:confused: and swimming awkward I put him in quarantine and he was fine??? would this be oxygen problem, also in my other 55 gallon my jack dempsey was rubbing against rocks pretty heavily with her gills. I know thats usually a sign of parasites but what parasites would you suggest. Maybe gill flukes?? both tanks water parameters are amm. 0 n02. 0 N03 5 ppm PH 8.2 (steep but stable)

EDIT: oh yeah and temp on both is 78 F. These tanks are only a week old but I have used filter's and used decorations out of the tank they were all previously in (150 gallon) and I have nitrates so the tank is cycled I made sure before introduction

wetmanNY

AC Members
Cripes, I wish I were better at curing gill flukes. I've just re-dosed a Ram still in quarantine, who looks fine for a couple of weeks, then shows that his gills are being bitten, by flashing against leaves...

With gill flukes, the medication doesn't get the eggs/cysts. So you have to do a water change on Day 2, remedicate on Day 3, do a water change on Day 4, remedicate on Day 5. You're killing off each new generation as it hatches.

I understand that the trematodes are killed in the first eight hours or so. Then you do the water change to reduce the stress of the medication on the fish.

but I'm no vet...

What are you using? I'm using Mardel's Maracide, which is:

1. Tris (hydroxymethyl) aminomethane. That's a widely-used non-toxic pH buffer, also called just "Tris")

2. Dibromohydroxymercurifluorescein. Its disodium salt is Merbromin, which we used to call "Mercurochrome" when I was a kid. Mothers painted skinned knees with it. It's an organo-mercury compound! I get this from George Slusarczuk's post at killietalk digest: http://fins.actwin.com/killietalk/month.9905/msg00008.html

3. Aniline Green. This is nought but a synonym of Malachite Green. http://www.thekrib.com/Chemistry/malachite-green.html

I hate to put anything in the tank without knowing what it is. I sound very smart-- but all I did was run each ingredient through www.google.com and follow a few links.

Last edited:

optix

Rent-a-mod
Dec 30, 2002
Dayton area of ohio
Visit site
Thanks alot wetman, I haven't begun medication yet but all I have is malachite green. I'll have to look into getting some more med's. So is there any other way to tell if its indeed flukes or is that the definate trigger by her rubbing her gills against rocks. I will begin medication on my jack as well as soon as I view your response.

wetmanNY

AC Members
When a fish flashes just once, it may be just a tickle. Like when you add microworms to feed fry and one gets caught for a second on her gill. But continued flashing means gills are inflamed. Bacterial infections and fungal attacks? Usually secondary to some ectoparasite attack. Gill parasites are a) single-celled parasites b) trematodes aka "flukes" --which are microscopic worms.

When a fish uses one[/] gill, or when one or both gills stand ajar, you can bet it's flukes.

Check fluke treatments at your favorite veterinarian site. Or www.google.com "Dactylogyrus gill fluke"

Check this site: http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/disease/flukes.htm

"It's bookmarkworthy!" (Elaine Benis)

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
You might want to consider praziquantel for treatment of flukes and similar parasites. It was formerly only available through vets under the brand name of Droncit which cost big $$$. It's still a relatively expensive medication but is available to fish keepers and is reported to be highly effective, minimal stress to fish, and minimal stress to the biofilter. Check out this link for more info.

Praziquantel Info

Good luck:D

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Wetman,

Your wish is my command.:D

Checkout the online store at goldfishconnection.com. Rick just started selling Prazi since it hasn't been available for that long on the "open" market. Prazi does tend to come in large volumes but Rick breaks it down into small (50G) doses for aquariums. Scroll down the store menu and select "PraziPro" under the "Medications" section.

Praziquantel at Goldfishconnection

Good Luck
JeffP

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store