What are overflow systems/ sumps etc for???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sara3502

AC Members
Jun 28, 2011
I am setting up a 40 gallon tank with 2 hob filters and I was wondering why do people have overflow tanks under their tank? Is it to make it more pretty without a hob filter, or to do something else? Will I need one???

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
You don't need one, with a sump you can do some more heavy duty filtration, do auto top offs, and keep extra equipment out of the display tank. Not that many people usually run one on normal sized freshwater tanks, they're more used in saltwater setups and large FW tanks.

Sara3502

AC Members
Jun 28, 2011
Okay, thanks and also it will be a very planted tank and I read that hob filters are bad for them. Are they?

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Depends how you do the planted tank. They produce a lot of surface agitation. Surface agitation means lots of gas exchange. This isn't bad unless you are adding CO2 to your water to maximize plant growth.

If you go high-tech planted then a HOB filter can be counter productive.
If you go low-tech (simply lighting) then a HOB filter is fine.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I run HOB's on my freshwater tanks including 2 heavily planted ones. Problems you can run into are leaves and plant matter getting stuck/sucked into the intake, that can be solved with putting a prefilter on, some plants grow better with water current some don't so plant accordingly in relation to your filter output, some HOB's have stronger output too, my Aqueon HOB output makes a current that goes forward across the tank, my Aquaclears as long as the tanks topped off just are more downward with less water disturbance.

Sara3502

AC Members
Jun 28, 2011
Okay, well it will have Co2 so thats what I was worried about. I can just put it on a really low circulation right?

Linden

A box of animals way off the ground
Jun 11, 2006
Minneapolis
I am a newbie to CO2 stuff, but I heard that if you add CO2, it means you can have less fish in the tank. Is that right?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Okay, well it will have Co2 so thats what I was worried about. I can just put it on a really low circulation right?
If you are using HOBs then your addition of CO2 basically becomes practically useless.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store