What are the costs of a tank? And opinions on the setup I've got planned.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Just a thought ... You might want to revise your estimate of the tank weight upwards. Your estimate of 160 lbs. would be about right for 20g of water only, but you need to consider the weight of the tank itself, plus the 20-50 lbs substrate. This chart of tank weights estimates 225 lbs. for a 20g (long or high).

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick

Gotcha38

AC Members
Mar 20, 2004
Clemson, SC
Visit site
Real Name
Zack
Just a thought ... You might want to revise your estimate of the tank weight upwards. Your estimate of 160 lbs. would be about right for 20g of water only, but you need to consider the weight of the tank itself, plus the 20-50 lbs substrate. This chart of tank weights estimates 225 lbs. for a 20g (long or high).
Wow, that's plenty more than I expected. The dresser idea is 100% not going to work then. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Overpriced.

Could be worth it if you were going to use all the accessories, but in reality you'd be replacing half of the extras it comes with. Granted you could use them as backups if you have space to keep them stored.
I know that's way more than I plan on paying for it. I texted and asked what brand of filter it is and the dimensions of the tank. I haven't heard anything back yet, but it's Sunday and still family time for most people. If it's still available I'm gonna get some people to ridiculously lowball them, and then offer maybe $40 myself and see what happens.

There's a 3ft x 1ft x 1ft tank on craigslist too, but I can't fit a 3ft tank. It's maybe a decent deal. Said it was only used for a few months.

Gotcha38

AC Members
Mar 20, 2004
Clemson, SC
Visit site
Real Name
Zack
Another 20 just popped up on craigslist. Tank, Stand, filter, lights, heater for $50. Needs cleanup and has been sitting. Asked for pictures, dimensions, and details on the extras.

Gotcha38

AC Members
Mar 20, 2004
Clemson, SC
Visit site
Real Name
Zack
Laminate MDF goodness that is of an indeterminate age. Probably about 15 years of abuse. I think that's how long this complex has been here.

Found this on craigslist. What does everyone think?
http://greenville.craigslist.org/for/2283412933.html
This person finally texted me back. Said $85 for everything. That's more than I think it's worth because I'm going to have to paint it, and maybe reseal it. Plus I'm not gonna use any of those decorations or rocks or anything anyway.

What's a good offer if it's in good shape when I get there?

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
This person finally texted me back. Said $85 for everything. That's more than I think it's worth because I'm going to have to paint it, and maybe reseal it. Plus I'm not gonna use any of those decorations or rocks or anything anyway.

What's a good offer if it's in good shape when I get there?
Honestly I wouldn't make the trip unless it was right around the corner. That stand looks like a walmart special bookshelf. If there's even a remote chance that it has a leak, then I probably wouldn't even insult them with an offer.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
I have two 20g longs. One has been set up over a year, the other just a month. I was so satisfied with the first setup, I recently set up the second exactly the same.

I have had a 50% success rate from used tanks. You don't know how it was treated before, what it housed, etc. IMO, to save 15$ish, not worth the hassle JIC it leaks, down the road.

I would steer away from T5HO for lighting for a 20g long. Way too much light with out pressurized co2. Both my 20g longs have this fixture...

http://www.bigalsonline.com/Fish_Li...eries-Double-Linear-Strip-Lights.html?tc=fish

This is a T5 fixture Normal Output. (HO stands for high output). Google the difference, makes my eyes glaze over. However, this fixture comes with the bulbs, is a great price, and is plenty lighting for a 20g long.

You don't need pressurized co2 for a tank that you use T5NO. I faithfully dose 20mL of excel daily. I water change days I stick with the 20mL. I also dose PPS daily. I have too many tanks for EI, PPS seems to be doing the job. Like I said, so far I've not had any problems with algae in my smaller tanks, it's the 75g with pressurized I am constantly battling algae, go figure!

I wouldn't use a HOB for a 20g, but that doesn't mean you can't. I use Filstars, 1/2 my tanks have canisters, just easier to stick with one for parts, etc.... but they are pricey. I've heard great things about the sun suns.

Substrate, I would strongly suggest mineralized top soil capped w/something with a high CEC like Flourite. You don't have to bake the top soil in the sun outside. For my smaller tanks I boil the soil, then bake it dry, in the oven. Takes one day, vs weeks the other way. Tom Barr posts a lot about boiling soil. Baking it also is probably is overkill.

If I ever get my daughter to give back my camera, I'll post some pics.

Gotcha38

AC Members
Mar 20, 2004
Clemson, SC
Visit site
Real Name
Zack
I would steer away from T5HO for lighting for a 20g long. Way too much light with out pressurized co2. Both my 20g longs have this fixture...

http://www.bigalsonline.com/Fish_Li...eries-Double-Linear-Strip-Lights.html?tc=fish

This is a T5 fixture Normal Output. (HO stands for high output). Google the difference, makes my eyes glaze over. However, this fixture comes with the bulbs, is a great price, and is plenty lighting for a 20g long.

You don't need pressurized co2 for a tank that you use T5NO. I faithfully dose 20mL of excel daily. I water change days I stick with the 20mL. I also dose PPS daily. I have too many tanks for EI, PPS seems to be doing the job. Like I said, so far I've not had any problems with algae in my smaller tanks, it's the 75g with pressurized I am constantly battling algae, go figure!
That's just the light fixture I've been looking at. It looks like a good deal for the price.

Can you explain some of the bold abbreviations? And how long does a bottle of excel last and cost? Would I have to dose it if I was doing co2?

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
The light has worked great for me on my 20g longs, but remember, plant growth is slow, but steady.

Both abbreviations are for dosing regimes, EI is estimative index dosing regime, PPS is Perpetual Preservation Syst
em. Google them, choose the one that fits your lifestyle. I use excel in all my tanks. Recommended amount is 1mL per 10 gallons of water per day. You'll be using 2mL per day (go to CVS and buy a mL get a syringe). A 500mL bottle will last you 250 days. Long time...

I mistyped above, I dose 2mL per day, not 20.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store