What are the light requirements for moss balls?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SilverDollarMan

AC Members
Feb 11, 2009
I just set-up a new 10g for an attempt at my first planted tank.

I took one of the filters off of one of my 60g tanks and put it on the 10g and reduced the water flow as to not create too much water flow (its a Whisper 20-40)

I already bought a Marimo Moss Ball and just a simple anacharis for right now.
Later pn next week ill buy some dwarf hairgrass.

Right now I have 1.8 watts per gallon, but I have the ability to go up to 30wpg.

Thanks for any helpful tips.

SilverDollarMan

AC Members
Feb 11, 2009
Awesome, I guess I'll stick with the 1.8.

Oh and btw, I meant up to 3wpg lol

SilverDollarMan

AC Members
Feb 11, 2009
Thank you for letting me keep my non-existent fish keeping reputation lol

Btw, on a side note, since I added a filter from my 60g which is well colonized with beneficial bacteria, will I be able to add fish immediately?

NegativeLogic

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Thank you for letting me keep my non-existent fish keeping reputation lol

Btw, on a side note, since I added a filter from my 60g which is well colonized with beneficial bacteria, will I be able to add fish immediately?
Yes you can - you have achieved insta-cycling. Obviously it takes longer for the bacteria to colonize the available surfaces in the tank, but I'm sure you'll be fine for whatever initial fish load you're planning.

Oh, and I have a moss ball that's doing just great at ~1.5 wpg

SilverDollarMan

AC Members
Feb 11, 2009
Yea I don't get paid until next week so ill take the filter out and put it back in my main tank. Besides I dont think I need a filter for just plants.

Next week I'll put the filter back in the 10g and I'll go ahead and stock with Cardinal tetras and a few cherry shrimp or amano shrimp, maybe both. But thats it. I dont want alot of stock, This tanks main focus will be the plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store