What are these snails, driving me nuts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Iamjustifyd

AC Members
Aug 17, 2011
New Olreans
Real Name
Sherry
20180702_202931[1].jpg Hi all,
They look like trumpet snails but are really tiny. This is the biggest one that I've seen. Was thinking about assassin snails but not sure if these are too small for them to eat. I don't want to use any chemicals to get rid of them. Any help would be great....thanks!

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
Hard to tell from the pic but it does look like it could be a juvie trumpet snail or some other pest snail.
Did you just buy some plants?
An Assasin snail would probably take care of the problem, but those can also get out of hand!
or you could try to lure them into a shallow bowl with some bait.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Trumpet snails are livebearers, so you won't see eggs, but there is likely an adult in the substrate. Manual removal and cleaning are your best bet to control them.

Iamjustifyd

AC Members
Aug 17, 2011
New Olreans
Real Name
Sherry
Don't trumpet snails get bigger than this? They have been in the tank for months now and they don't get any bigger than the one in the photo. I clean the tank once a week...about 50%. I'll get a couple assassins and see how they do

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Actually, that does not look like a Trumpet snail. More likely an ordinary pond snail. What size tank do you have? Maybe too much food in tank (over feeding). A few snails are OK, they make very good scavengers.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep. Looks like pond snails to me too. I've had them and Malaysian trumpets. Now I never see anything but Malaysian trumpets in most of my tanks.

You can always tell when you're feeding too much. You'll have too many snails. Cut back your feeding and you have to look for them.

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
I had an infestation of those snails that came in on a live plant I bought. I have been able to control them mostly by frequent vacuuming. I am considering changing the substrate though. I have Nirite snail that I love. They don't multiply in fresh water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store