What are these

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Hmm, I don't know! lol They seem to have the body shape and finage of nematocharax venustus (which is amazing that your LFS uses scientific names at all!) but the white at the base of the tail fin certainly doesn't match what I found on google. My guess is that it is a nematocharax species though. But wait for someone smarter to me to come along. :D

Edit: BTW is that black diamond blasting sand? Looks too dark to be flourite black sand.....not enough amber to be Tahitian moon sand and not perfect enough to be colorquartz.

originalhurt

AC Members
Feb 17, 2010
Hmm, I don't know! lol They seem to have the body shape and finage of nematocharax venustus (which is amazing that your LFS uses scientific names at all!) but the white at the base of the tail fin certainly doesn't match what I found on google. My guess is that it is a nematocharax species though. But wait for someone smarter to me to come along. :D

Edit: BTW is that black diamond blasting sand? Looks too dark to be flourite black sand.....not enough amber to be Tahitian moon sand and not perfect enough to be colorquartz.
I know I've done the research and the coloring slash long fins severely throw me off, I saw them and fell in love them they seem like a very scared/ shy like type of fish.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Are there any other fish in the tank? Sometimes overhead cover (some type of floating plants or decor) can make them feel more comfortable.

Octavarium

Ambassador to Cephalopods
Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
My first guess is Ceros Tetra (Moenkhausia ceros) Look them up see if they match while I try and find my older atlas full of all different, rare species

Octavarium

Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
Actually upon googling your scientific name, it seems to match the LFS description pretty good w the longer dorsal and hanging vental/pec fins...maybe the red line we see in some pics is part of dimorphism between M and F....still trying to find my Baesch Atlas though, I'm curious now too as to if thats what they are

Octavarium

Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
Bing image results definitely matched, even with the tiny white area on the adipose fin. it wasn't in any of my 3 rare Atlases or Axelrods....wow even fishbase doesn't have a pic up. Must not be much on them, cool rare find of some South American characin...you going to get them. They seem very nice, your typical shy, peaceful schooling fish that probably likes soft, acidic water w the floating plants/subdued lighting area. Let us know how you make out! Very unique find indeed!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have seen them before, just do not remember where or what.
Has the tail color of the "Dawn Tetra" ,

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think I've seen these or very similar called "panda tetras". They may color up as they adjust to your tank & maybe grow a bit. Keep us posted

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I have seen them before, just do not remember where or what.
Has the tail color of the "Dawn Tetra" ,
I think I've seen these or very similar called "panda tetras". They may color up as they adjust to your tank & maybe grow a bit. Keep us posted
Well the tail color looks spot on! But the dawn/pandas (same fish) don't seem to have the bump on their back like these guys and these guys look to have more slender longer dorsal fins, like the nematocharax venustus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store