What are your favorite Corals?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

felixpaws

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
This amazes me!

I just wanted to post this, because it simply shocked me. I had two different Blastomussa's, blastomussa merletti, and blasto. wellsi. I had them for less than a month, and read that they will eat, like most LPS coral, so, I decided to feed them some p.e. mysis. I fed them, and they closed up, and started to recede from they're skeletons overnight. I had just read, on wetwebmedia.com that freshwater mysis can be bad for coral, because they have to expell the freshwater, so, I figured that was my problem, and waited to see if they'd recover. After about a week, both the single polyp of wellsi, and the whole colony(about 30 to 35 polyps) of merletti seemed dead. No flesh anywhere on the skeletons. I waited for a month after that, then decided to pop the single polyp off the live rock, to use it for another coral. I popped it off, and threw the little skeleton into my frag tank, amongst a bunch of live rock rubble, and treated it like live rock, vacuumed it for mulm, and banged it around, a lot. After a month or two of this, the other day, I'm looking at my polyps, and notice a little color in my tray of live rock! It's the wellsi polyp, with flesh in the middle! I glued it to another rock, and thought, "Well, that's great! I hope it makes a full recovery." I wondered at that for a couple days, and didn't think of the colony. The skeleton of the merletti I had shoved under a rock, to kill off the bubble algae on it, and only refrained from removing it from the tank completely, because there was a small clam on it, as well as some small feather dusters, so kept it in the tank. Yesterday, I'm feeding my other corals, and I notice a light pink coming from the skeleton, and a polyp sticking up, reaching for light! :eek: I pull out the colony, and at least half of the colony has polyps sticking up! I stuck it in the sand, and since last night it has opened up even further. Talk about hardy. After three months of nothing, both corals recover, somewhat, with no visible signs of life the whole time. Don't give up on your corals, they aren't neccessarily dead. I was even thinking of getting some more of both, and now, I'm going to wait to see if they survive. :lol2: I'll try to post pictures of both, soon.

felixpaws

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
Okay, forget the frag swap. I had the choice of either going to the freag swap or buying a 120 plexi-glass reef tank. Duh! I bought the tank! I think I may have a bi-color hammer. Does hammer change color as it grows? It's a purplish clear, and green. The guy who gave it to me said something about new growth, that I didn't catch, so, it could be a bi-color or just new growth, that changes to green as it gets older. Please, let me know?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store