what can i put with discus??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
thanks for the reply, good to hear b/c one of my local shops has 2-3 discus tanks dedicated to them with a few other mixed in but mainly discus. They normaly have nice one's too (IMO). I haven't tested my water yet but I am almost positive that it's a harder water than most I'd say. I'll pick up a water tester before I put any fish in and I'll report back to you guys and see what you say:)

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I usually agree with reptileguy however, I would not purchase Discus from a LFS.

typically you are better off getting them from a local breeder.
the breeders i know have a much more superior Discus available for the hobby keeper and usualy at a more competative price.(this prob does vary from region to region)

these breeders will keep the best for themselves or for other breeders and sell off the others to hobbyist. many sell the culls (B)to LFS reserving the next step up for local sales(direct) these are generally B+ some may sell some of the better culls to certain LFS.
I have found that these folks tend to keep the discus in better condtion.
I have found that the quality of these fish tend to superior to any LFS I have found.

(again this may vary from region to region)

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
How could i tell from looking at them of their quality? I plan on buying the discus from the aquarium at rt 4 in new jersey if any locals know of the place. Also where can I find a database of local breeders? I have no issue with buying RO and UV system's if i need them

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
if you have a very repuatable LFS you may be fine.

otherwise you would have to hunt in the classifieds for breeders.

we have a few repuatable breeders here.

as far as RO..it depends on the water.

many times unless the water is really out of whack the discus will be fine in normal tap.(as long as you remove chlorine/chloramines)
UV sterilizers are not really necessary. but come in handy for greenwater and some bacterial/parasite infestations.
typically with discus the water they are kept in wipres out many parasites..young discus should be kept in bare bottom tanks with temps 84-88 f.

as they get older you can keep them in a bit cooler waters..but 82-84 is pretty typical even for adults.

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
other than excess waste from all the feeding is there another reason for the BB? I really have my heart set on some sand

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
no.

You can keep the discus in planted tanks. but best for adults. the young discus have a fast metabolism and will require several feedings per day.
it is best to keep the tank for them cleaned of uneaten food.

if you want to keep plants with the young discus ..pot the plants and keep them with the young ones.
opnce they have grown a bit 3-4" body you can then treat them like adults. drop the tamp a couple degrees etc.
btw, Discus are foragers..I feed my adults 3 X per day and change water at least 2 X week.

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
So b/c I'm using live plants I should have the tank completely set-up rather than a bare bottom? finicky little fish:grinyes:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
no you can have a planted tank with no substrate on the bottom of the tank..substrate is kept in pots with the plants. a majority of the tank will still be bare bottom.
the reason for bare bottom is ease of cleanup..it is easier to see uneaten food and waste when there is no substrate.

many have raised young discus in planted tanks..
we are just giving advise on what is easiest to do.

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
gotcha, thanks. picked up my heater, air pump, filter and test kits. As soon as i test my water I'll report back

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Hi. Haven't been able to get on the forum today. See you're interested in discus and you're from NJ too. Discus Madness is a good place for healthy discus. I've been to his place and he has a nice set up there. There's also a small place in NY called Blue Gold Aquarium (I think) where they are bringing in some awesome discus!! I'm not familiar with where you're going on Rt 4, what's the name of it and did they tell you where the discus are from?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store