What causes the white foamy water in my fish tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Do a round of tests, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and pH on your tap water. When you take the pH test on your tap, let the water sit out overnight in a shallow dish first.

The Prime will neutralize the chlorine and chloramine in it. It will make it okay for your fish, yet still available to feed your bacteria that you need to cycle your tank.

Squeeze/rinse the sponge clean in some of the tank water you are taking out. Until it is falling apart, there is nothing wrong with it. Your good bacteria will be growing on it.

What makes you think your tap water is no good?

newfishhobbyist

AC Members
Jun 3, 2007
Minneapolis
I tested the tap water with the master freshwater kit and it showed really high ammonia and chloramine and chlorine levels which is why I buy the reverse osmosis drinking water in three 3 gallon jugs for small water changes.

I probably should not have thrown out the sponge media but it was really dark brown after only 4 weeks so I panicked and threw it out and replaced it, thinking the good bacteria were already established in the gravel bed. But now I won't worry about it since i put a new sponge media in the Aqua Clear power filter. I'll leave that one alone for the next three months and just change the carbon bag out b/c I know that carbon only lasts a month in those mesh bags.

Thanks for the Prime tips too. I think Amquel is just poison to the fish tank. I allowed myself to get caught up in the Petsmart sales pitches about all the supposed chemicals I needed to use,when all I really want to do is let nature work her magic, and do water changes/gravel syphoning as needed.

beefsteak

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
California, USA
Agreed with everyone else. The best thing you can do to reduce nitrites/nitrates is water changes. And the next time you want to use a "chemical" to help cycle your tank try Bio-Spira instead. It's actual bacteria. Everything else on the market that claims to cycle your tank is crap.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
One day I found my 10G tank "oversudsing"...just like a bad 70's sitcom episode when they put too much soap in the washer. Yes, it was coming out the top and running down the sides. :eek3:

I'd done a 50% change the day before...I figured I'd gotten some soap residue in there.

So, panic-ing I did a quick 50%+ PWC and went to add dechlorinator.
I was using NovAqua, a sister product to Amquel.

Hmm...could this be my problem? I'd developed the bad habit of guesstimating dosages. :headshake2: I put a drop in a glass of water and shook it up...instant foam. (might want to try this individually with all your additives)

I still had some small amount of foam over the sirstone, but it cleared after the next PWC.

I measure my additives properly now :)

--Don

cmartin

Extra tanks - no place to setup :(
Mar 14, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
I learned the same lesson after many $$$$ and headaches.
Throw most of the chemicals away - keep the Prime and do Water Changes.

It is really the best route to take and the cheapest!

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
what they said above about prime is true, it should be the only thing you add to your water.

It detoxifies ammonia, keeping harmless ammonia available, and keeping your cycle in tact, as well as breaking down nitrites, and chlorine AND chlorimine.(read directions for chlorimine)

so what your saying is wrong with your tap water, prime will fix.

never replace your filter media until it is literally falling apart, NEVER rinse it in tap water. always wash it off with a bit of old tank water.
and when you do need to replace it, keep it in the filter with the new media for a while to seed the new one with beneficial bacteria.

now im not sure about the following statement, but based on a couple of threads i found here, that brown stuff all over the filter might have been the benefical bacteria.... and you just threw it all out.
it could have been poop too though.... like i said, im not sure how true the above statement is.... i could be totally wrong.

but being the human i am, i like to think im right :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store