What do I need to supplement?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dewilde2

Illinifish
Aug 8, 2006
St Louis
Ordering supplies for my new nano, and going to actually start supplying things that have probably been lacking in my current tank.

Looking to keep mushrooms, zoas, a few other softies.

Thinking about the Seachem Reef Pack:Fundamentals (Reef Carbonate, Reef Complete, Reef Plus).

Thoughts? Thanks!

Zebodog

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
You're better off going with some quality test kits first and a good reference volume.

IMHO, a good understanding of trace elements and the interaction of chemicals in seawater should be your first goal.

The actual supplements that you may, or may not, need depends on many factors that will be specific to your own tank such as evaporation rate, water change frequency, skimmer performance, etc...

For cost effectiveness I would recommend kalkwasser however you really should have a good understanding of how kalk works.
For ease of use go with a two part balanced solution. It's much more expensive in the long run, but provides a much more user friendly "out of the box" experience.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Ordering supplies for my new nano, and going to actually start supplying things that have probably been lacking in my current tank.

Looking to keep mushrooms, zoas, a few other softies.

Thinking about the Seachem Reef Pack:Fundamentals (Reef Carbonate, Reef Complete, Reef Plus).

Thoughts? Thanks!
Nothing....unless a test kit shows up a defficiency...A good quality salt works wonders with replenishing trace elements...

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
Absolultely agree with Reefscape, Reef Crystals or similar quality brand of salt works wonders. Bi-weekly water change will cover most trace elements usually up until the next change, depending on your bioload, evaporation and skimmer as Zebodog mentioned.

I have a 100 gallon and only have a couple of Monty's (one big, one small), one Acro, some Frog Spawn and a Green Bubble, and some shrooms and I do not have to add any suppliments between water changes. I perform my water change religously every two weeks. Usually the day or two before my calcium drops below 400, but the next morning I am doing the water change anyways.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store