What do I need?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shikkapow

Confused Member
Dec 12, 2002
Virginia Beach, Va
Visit site
I have a 45 gallon tank that I want to start planting in. I know I need better lights, and a co2 system.but there are so many choices and options and varieties of equipment, that I dont even know where to begin.
What are the pros and cons of a tank Co2 system? I dont think I will remember to do the yeast thing every month, and it would probably be a waste of money for me to go that route.
how much lighting do I need? the tank length is 36" will a 96W 36" power compact do the job?
I wont be able to buy both the co2 and lights at the same time, so should I go with the light upgrade first?

I used flourite substrate in the entire tank when I first set it up

thanks for any help

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
If you have only the standard 15w flourescent light that many starter hoods seem to come with then yes you will need to upgrade your lights. The co2 is important in some cases, but if you don't need it don't get it. Even a do it yourself setup isn't cheap. Better lighting will keep your plants alive, which should be the first priority. The co2 will help invigorate growth in many plants, but high co2 won't do a thing with low lights.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Yes, CO2 will would be a plus for your plants regardless of the wattage.
As Tempest says, we do need to know what your lighting situation is at present before commenting further.

Len

Shikkapow

Confused Member
Dec 12, 2002
Virginia Beach, Va
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.. I have a 24" 20w el-cheapo light in there now. Its a 6500k light but not nearly enough wattage...
I have a 7" plec and a myriad of snails in there now, algae is an endangered species in there now.

I have an amazon sword and a mess of java moss (a volunteer from the sword) in there now.. the sword is hanging on, but i know it needs better light

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
The present light won't grow too much I'm afraid. The 96watt PC would still keep you at the point where you could get by with DIY Co2 until you could go pressurized.

I think I would look at a system where I *could* maybe add more light in the future *after* I got the pressurized going. The 96 watts is /just over/ 2 watts per gallon and I think you need to supplement the Co2 but DIY can help a lot. I still use DIY on my 55 gallon and it really isn't that hard to set up a new bottle each week.. I use two bottles and replace one each week. I made a reactor with a gravel tube and a power head at a real low cost.. The reactor could still be used if I went pressurized.

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
Just in my opinion, you would have better luck with the 96 watt than the 55 watts alone. If ya can do either DIY Co2 or Flourish Excel, I think you would do better with *either* the 96 watts or the 110. Flourish Excel would be pricey with the 45 gallon but mayhap not out of line in quantity from BigAls.

I just have never had much luck growing anything but java moss under 1.5 watts per gallon. It sits there not growing much and then the algae takes it. I've never used floating plants which would be closer to the light however. And other people may be better doing it...

Shikkapow

Confused Member
Dec 12, 2002
Virginia Beach, Va
Visit site
LOL thanks for dropping the name on me( Big als) I bought a fluval from them a few years back, and completely forgot the place where I got such a good deal

OK lets say i go with the 96 watt light ( what I wanted anyways) ...is there almost a 100% change that I will have an algae bloom w/o the co2?

a 2 lite bottle of excel only costs $25 dollars, and that can keep me going for a few months while i scrimp and save for a co2 system ( i really like the price of a diy co2, but I know in the long run i will tire of the frankenstein-ish setup..)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store