What do you guys think? Transporting Ques.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BandiCat

AC Members
Apr 3, 2009
Michigan USA
I just ordered a desktop aquarium and I can't wait to get the tank going. Hopefully it will be stocked with a few new shrimp by Christmas :)

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
do you know what the pH of the water at your school is because bees and tigers r both shrimp that that need low pH and wont be too comfortable in a high pH. if the pH is high i would recommend something besides them

BandiCat

AC Members
Apr 3, 2009
Michigan USA
It's something that I'm going to have tested over this weekend (or just test myself, lol). I'm planning on prolly using RO water anyway though, just to make sure that the water I have at my house it the same as the water that I have in the dorms. The water at my house would be horrible for more sensitive shrimp as it is pH 8.2 and incredibly hard.

BandiCat

AC Members
Apr 3, 2009
Michigan USA
Ooooookay. I got the water home and tested it. pH is 7.6 and the kH/gH is really high at about 350ppm...When is water considered to be brackish? Maybe I should go into breeding plecos instread of shrimp, lol. My home water is about this hard as well.

Can anyone share any advice about using special substrate and mixing tap water with RO water? Is it something that you perfect by trial and error? I know that RCS do well in water like this...but I really would like to branch out and try a different type of shrimp.

gt1009

AC Members
Jan 8, 2009
DO IT! I have a 20 gallon saltwater tank in my dorm and I live 16 hours from home. My roommate lives in town so he is taking care of the tank while I am on christmas break, then I'm just gonna drive the fish back home for summer. Air pumps and filter media in 5 gallon buckets or coolers with the fish and your set.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store