What do you think? Midas vs. Red Devil???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

penguin

Registered Member
Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for all the info guys. I will take evryones advice and try for a 75. Im only 13 and have a 55 african mixed tank in my room where i am tryin to get the 75. I would get the 75 if i have the money but 10 bucks every 2 weeks and fry money is not much at a very slow rate. It gonna be hard but im going for it.
Predatorfish-thanks for all your help with the midas. I was lookin at your website and it is great. all your fish look awsome as well. My favorite part though was your no fighting "policy." I think it is a great idea and great for the fish as well. Did you have to get that tank custom made?

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
100% Purebred labiatus..... easily 12"

However.. both the midas and the devil will easily outgrow a 55gal. minimum size I'd recommend is a 65gal thats got the 18" in depth you'd be looking for
;)

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
That belongs to a friend of mine he is also a member here but doesnt post much very often. That is a wild caught male amphilophus labiatus. It has been here in the states for about 4 years if i remember correctly. when you see that fish and see a pure citrinellum it is clear they are not the same fish. They have a very different shape and attitude, as you can it it housed with other cichlids.

Is it really 12".. well that was a pretty much full grown sajica:

Last edited:

chewey

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
yakima, wa.
Visit site
Midas/Devil

I have had the pleasure to know a gentelman by the title of professor George Barlow of UC Berkley who is the utmost authority in Midas/Red Devil knowledge as he did a 35 yr. study on these fish. He was given a government grant for this study and i had the honor of visiting his breeding ponds and lab/aquarium facilities.
All of his fish were wild caught in lakes by himself and his students. I was also priviy to having one of these wild caught fish that went into the 16 inch range and weighed in around 3# these are awesome fish and a 100 gal. tank is in my opinion a minimum. I have in my possesion a package of his autographed studies and would be happy to send some copys to you to help clear up any confusion as to which is which.
If you send me your address i can send these to you if you wish.:) :) :)

MASSMAN2

AC Members
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
THey are both the same fish if you ask me. The name Red Devil have been around for quite a long time. Through selective breeding for different colors, the Midas name was attached to a few that were a golden color.

As I stated earlier, same fish, different name!

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
Originally posted by MASSMAN2
THey are both the same fish if you ask me. The name Red Devil have been around for quite a long time. Through selective breeding for different colors, the Midas name was attached to a few that were a golden color.

RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

mota

AC Members
Aug 9, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Originally posted by MASSMAN2

Not a chance. Because the name has been around a while and another fish sort of looks like it, doesn't mean there is a conspiracy and they are the same.

They are totally different.

If you have both, look at the lips and body mass and you'll see that they are very different and not even close to looking alike.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store