What do your Pl*cos and Loaches eat

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
I put a slice of zucchini in for my common pleco, but I've never seen him touch it. In fact, in three years I've never seen him eat at all. The new tank does have driftwood though, so I figure he's snacking on that some. The MTS eat it up though.

I can't get the zucchini to sink. Would tying a lead fishing sinker to it be bad for the fish?

dhgyello04

AC Members
Sep 15, 2008
Manteca, CA
I put a slice of zucchini in for my common pleco, but I've never seen him touch it. In fact, in three years I've never seen him eat at all. The new tank does have driftwood though, so I figure he's snacking on that some. The MTS eat it up though.

I can't get the zucchini to sink. Would tying a lead fishing sinker to it be bad for the fish?
Well I use a clip that suction cups to the glass... as soon as I do that The sailfin darts out and starts munching... others use a fork... just stick a fork in and lay it in the tank.... you want the meat of the zucchini to face up wards so stick the fork in down wards. hope this works for you.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
My BN gets algae tabs and whatever frozen veggie I am cooking for supper. I save one out for him / her. He really likes broccoli, but only the fuzzy part, he leaves the stalk. Believe it or not he really likes brussel sprouts.

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
My pleco is in a 20 extra high, so it's a pain to reach two feet down to fish out stuff. That's why I was hoping for the sinker option. That way I could just tie some fishing line to it. I suppose that would work for a spoon or fork too though.

I might try some frozen spinach. I've got some and my wife sure isn't going to eat it.

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
My BN's are always all over any zucchini I put in the tank. I've done cucumber before and the otos love that, atlhough Poncho(my golden bridgesii snail) tends to get there first, and he's a lot bigger.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I haven't fed any Zuchini to my pleco yet, he always seems to have a fat tummy. I'll get some this weekend and try it out and see how he likes it.

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
my L239 LOVES broccoli stems.

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
I feed my Bristlenose Plecos Bloodworms, Zucchini, Cucumber, Eggplant, Rutabega, Algae wafers and they eat flake too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store